PC boots quickly but then hangs up after non use for a few minutes

realtorcalvin

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
I build the PC about a year ago. 8MB memory, i-5 CPU, plenty of storage.
Ive noticed the following : usually boot up fine. and if i immediately use it or play a game its fine. If i leave the PC on and come back later, it lags and is constantly 'waiting for cache" and is so slow to load anything i almost always have to reboot.

can some one point me in the right direction.

wireless network card going into low power mode, then not returning to high power mode after you start using the system again. the result is the wireless network adapter is transmitting a low power signal, the low power would result in the netcard negotiating a slow transfer rate. effect would be the same as moving your network connection much further from your router. (1/R^2) function where R is the distance to the router.

anyway, go into your windows control panel device manager and find the network device and set it to high power mode to see if it prevents the problem. to fix you would update the network driver or sometimes the bios version depending on when the machine was made. this type of problem occurs often on windows 7 machines that were upgraded to windows 10. Mainly because the windows 7 drivers had the sleep functions turned off by default while windows 10 turns them on by default.

you can also move the machine to be right next to the router and see if the speed picks up.

generally this would just never happen with a wired network connection.

most often with wireless connection, and even more often with usb thumb wireless connections.