Windows 7 64 Bit HDD Size Limits

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
I am considering getting a new HDD of at least 2TB for my gaming computer because I have a lot of games through Steam. I wondered about the size limitations and if they changed anything in the last few years. I've seen answers but they are clear back from about 2012. I figure they haven't but it's best to ask.

I also wondered about getting a External HD and what size limits it would have too. I believe my motherboard has USB 3.0 I can hook up to use one through if anything.

Listing some of my PCs set up to give you an idea of what I am working with:

CPU: AMD - FX-8350 4GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

If you need anything else, please let me know!

ha there are no size limitations

Just with windows 7 best if the OS drive isn't larger than 2TB. You can install with on a larger drive, but has to be installed as uEFI and some people have issues with it.

But if it is a TB Drive then no issue. And it is isn't the size of the partitions it is the over size of the hard drive. Drives larger than 2 TB have to be GPT not MBR.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018

Oh, crap I forgot to mention that. My OS is installed on a 1TB drive already, this would be a second HDD within the machine, just for storage alone as a fair few of the games I got are around 40-60GB or even larger. So going to move my entire Steam library to the second HD and use it while keeping the main one for the OS, other misc. files and like 3 games. One of them I can't even uninstall, another I don't really play much anymore and the other is way to big to reinstall as it'll take days to do.

So if I got a second HDD for storage, I'd have to partition it into 2TB sections?

No just anything that is over 2TB would have to be set as a GPT and not a MBR. It isn't bad to set it to GPT anyways in case say, you upgrade, but now you can just clone and then expand the partition vs having to copy everything over (Cloning is faster)

Only other limitation would be motherboards but any board built in the past like 5-7 years will take just about anything you throw at it especially if it is a SATA III controller

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If I understand your posts correctly your situation is simple. First a few bits of info to consider.

The older MBR system of Partitioning can handle HDD's up to 2 TB max. Any HDD larger than that MUST be partitioned instead under the new GPT system in order to use all of its space, irrespective of the number and size of Partitions created on it. These two types of Partitioning systems require that the OS use different device drivers. For Windows, relevant info here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/hardware/design/dn640535(v=vs.85)

For Windows 7, it CAN use both types of Partitioning systems for DATA disks. For a BOOT disk only the 64-bit version can boot from a GPT-Partitioned disk, and then ONLY if the mobo BIOS supports UEFI for booting from such devices. There is a note on that web page that suggests that, IF your BIOS is set to use the UEFI support system, then the BOOT drive MUST be GPT-Partiti0oned, but I'm not completely sure about that. NOTE that, if only your DATA disk(s) are GPT-Partitioned, you do NOT need to use UEFI Support in BIOS. (UEFI Support is used to boot from GPT-Partitioined disks.)

Now, OP, i believe you said that you intend to leave your system to boot from the existing 1 TB drive unit with MBR Partitioning, and then the new larger drive will be only for data. In that case it's relatively easy. When you install the new drive unit, use Windows' Disk Management to find it. RIGHT-click on it and choose to Create a New Simple Volume. Check the parameters it plans to use - no NOT just approve all the defaults. First, the type of Partitioning. For any drive over 2 TB, use GPT so all of it is available. For 2 TB or less, you can use either type. IF you opt for GPT, Win 7 will be sure to load and use the requisite device driver. The Primary Partition you set up first (no matter what its size) does NOT need to be BOOTABLE if this is a data disk only. Set its size to what you want - you can use less than full disk space and reserve some for another Partition, but you do not need to. For the Format options, a normal "Full Format" will inspect every Sector of the HDD for errors and note how to avoid them if any, but that will take hours to do, so just be patient. A Quick Format will not do all that testing so it is faster, and may be OK since this new unit is unlikely to have Bad Sectors - but that is STILL possible! The NTFS File System is right, of course. When all settings are your way, let it run the process. When it finishes. back out of Disk Management and reboot to find your new empty HDD in Explorer.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018

My original HD would remain as is, just the second one would be truly storage mostly for games. I just need more space as there is way to many games for me to download on a 1TB HD now. Oh, if I upgrade it's a entirely new system. Considering doing that actually but with all the issues Win 10 is having via data loss and things, I'm not entirely sure I want to just yet.

@Paperdoc

Sounds kind of simple. It will be just for storage, leaving the 1TB as the MBR as you said. I literally just need it for more game storage. Pretty much nothing else will go on that one unless it's probably mods and things.