Looking for a little guidance

redskizzle

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Hi,

Im looking for some advice on how I could upgrade my system.
The reason for the upgrade is that I am unable to play games at 1080p on anything other than low settings.

Current system:

Mobo: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H
Cpu: Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5GHz (Haswell socket 1150 LGA)
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Power supply: Coolermaster 650 watt
Monitor: BENQ XL2411 144hz monitor (1920x1080)

I will copy/paste the form with all the details and appreciate any replies..

- Approximate Purchase Date: No real time frame, but as soon as possible
- Budget Range: Im ideally aiming to do this as cheap as possible, but acknowledge it might take some investment
- System Usage from Most to Least Important: Pretty much just gaming (CS:GO, PUBG, Battlefield)
- Parts to Upgrade: Unknown at this point
- Do you need to buy OS: No
- Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Ebuyer usually
- Overclocking: No

A good place to start it by getting a new CPU and Mobo combo as 9th Gen CPUs are out now and 4th Gen is starting to be considered as pretty old.

You could as well get a better GPU but there are still many games that can be run at medium settings for heavier games or max settings on smaller games like CSGO with that GPU.

So I think you should upgrade your CPU/Mobo first, and then if it's not sufficient, you can upgrade the GPU too. Note that if you upgrade the CPU and Mobo, you will also need to upgrade to DDR4 RAM.

That PSU is still good so you can keep it no problem.

What is your budget? It will be easier to recommend you the best with a price range.
But in theory if you're doing only gaming, a i5-6600k/7700k/8600k is a very good money-for-performance value.

redskizzle

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
thanks for the reply.
from what youre saying i think its going to be out of my budget really..
I was hoping for a quick fix with a better cpu

you could get an i7 4790k CPU. your motherboard will support it and it will run games smoother than the i5 depending on the game. as suggested earlier for a real performance gain you need to upgrade to a more modern platform. but, for now the 4790k is still a decent gaming quad core

@norcalsc is correct. This could be a quick fix until you have enough money to do a full upgrade like I've suggested. You'll at least get a better performance and you'll get much less bottleneck and will be able to keep gaming AAA games for another couple of years.

Although this is already 410$ for that CPU and it's a Kabylake model so you'll beed to buy a Heatsink on top of that. So add another 40$.

At this price range, you can get this build for 440$:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($215.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($137.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $453.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-11 05:09 EDT-0400

The CPUs are very similar despite the i7-4790k technically being more powerful but because the R5 2600X is much much newer, it rivals in terms of performance.

UserBenchmark comparison:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/2384vs3956

Intel would technically still have better single-threaded performance, which is better for games but the Ryzen CPU just came out a few months ago and also comes with an included cooler and 3-year warranty. Ryzen CPUs also have a superior multi-threaded performance, which is better for anything else other than gaming.

I would therefore recommend the Ryzen build instead of only getting the Intel CPU upgrade. Specially at this price range.

redskizzle

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Sorry for the delay, but thanks for the useful information.
I decided to take the cheaper route of just replacing the cpu for the i7.

It arrived yesterday and I’ve changed it over but now think I may need to replace my cpu cooler fan. I get an intermittent clicking noise that comes and goes but if I touch the fan it stops, so pretty sure it’s the fan.. possible bearings