Can't activate/reinstall Windows 10

sir_k

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
I have a Windows 10 laptop that has blue screen errors, and all kinds of problems. I have found the only option to be resetting or reinstalling the OS (Files don't mater). The built in reset option doesn’t work. I tried doing a complete reinstall from a USB drive, but I don’t have a activation number. The one on the bottom of the laptop doesn’t work (it was for Windows 7, I guess, since this laptop was upgraded from that), and the product key found on the “about” page in the settings app is like 5 digits to short. I have no clue what to do…

Solution

For a system that was originally Win 7, then Upgraded to Win 10...you do not need a license key for a reinstall.
You don't even really have one.

Your licensing details are a hash of the...

USAFRet

Titan

For a system that was originally Win 7, then Upgraded to Win 10...you do not need a license key for a reinstall.
You don't even really have one.

Your licensing details are a hash of the original win 7 license and details of the hardware.

Do the install. When it asks for the license key, Skip. It will activate itself when it goes online after the install.
It may even take a day or two to properly talk to the activation servers.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution

sir_k

Commendable
Sep 17, 2018
OK, I did that, but when I choose to do a custom install, I am asked which partition to install it to, and I don't know! Will it still activate itself if I am installing where it the system was originally installed?

USAFRet

Titan

You DELETE all existing partitions on the drive, resulting in one blank space.

In the link above, Section II, Step 6 & 7 speaks to that.

USAFRet

Titan

That's probably on the HDD.
There should be a different ""Drive x" for the USB, if it is listed at all.