Installing Windows 10 OS (First Build)

Oct 9, 2018
Hi, I'm building a pc for the first time and all the parts are in place. Except for the OS. I have an OS package for Windows 10 Home on a USB supplied at a local store, still sealed, the model number SKU-KW9-00475.

Whats confusing me is that on the requirements on the back it requires internet.

Am I able to use this product to install my OS? I assume a product key is in the packaging, but I can't find anything around the internet about this particular model.

Thanks

Solution

Which version of Windows is this specifically?
Where did you buy it?

"requires internet" = it needs internet access to activate, and access a lot of the features.
It will install without internet access.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

USAFRet

Titan

Which version of Windows is this specifically?
Where did you buy it?

"requires internet" = it needs internet access to activate, and access a lot of the features.
It will install without internet access.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution
Oct 9, 2018
Sorry, new to this site, I got the product from Staples, they didnt sound so sure themselves so I never opened it yet

The unit is Windows 10 Home 32 bit/64 bit

USAFRet

Titan

OK, it will work.
The license key should be on the inside of the package somewhere.

Follow the link above for your install.

Simon Anderson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
Don't make same mistake i did and try to rip the blue thing off the end of the USB stick lol... it's just a really slim line USB stick (i.e. you stick the NON-blue end in to the USB port...) Luckily my feeble muscles didn't succeed. The product key will be on a credit-card sized insert inside your windows 10 retail box. Oh and PS: if your bios is anything like mine (mine's pretty old) then you might need to plug the USB stick in BEFORE you go in to bios settings to set it to boot off USB stick... otherwise USB won't appear as a boot option. But yeah, make sure your WiFi or Ethernet Cable is ready/working with internet connection. Not sure what happens if no internet... assumedly doesn't pass the product key validation

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 25, 2017
your question is pretty mute :)

if it's from Microsoft and on USB: put it in. it may or may not proceede w/o connection if it doesn't: get one. there aren't "choices" here.

what yOU DO NEED TO LOOK AT is whether it's OEM VERSION or not. if it's OEM version it isn't worth $2. take it back. you want the full home edition - it comes in a box with the usb and they "key" printed on a card. it will cost something like $150 (same price as if you bought it from the microsoft store online and received the box in the mail)

again: MAKE SURE it's not the OEM version. if you change your motherboard the OEM version deletes itself and you'd have to go buy a new one. if you get the "real home edition" there are no such restrictions of use.

(my local store tried to sell me an OEM version on a "CD" for $150 (you can get for $5) even though i was clear i wanted the "real home edition". don't fall for that!!)

If your still not sure just go online to the "Microsoft Store", get an online sales person to help you buying the Home Edition. They'll be sure to steer you to "the real usb" for the regular retail price.