Re-installing Windows 10 OS and Re-using the product key

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
Hey guys, so I've been having some issue with my PC. Mainly the start menu is not working (can only right-click) and that I might have to reinstall the OS to see if that resolves it. Don't ask me if I did this or that, is just not going to work, okay. So I have a question, I have an 256GB SSD as my main drive and a 2TB HDD as a secondary drive. I installed my OS on my SSD and using my HDD for backup, storage, and miscellaneous programs.

So here are the steps that I plan on taking action. I can "Create a Windows 10 Installation Media tool" onto my flash-drive. Plug it into my PC, run through the setup process, and click on "Upgrade & Keep all files." because I have important school homework stored onto my HDD. Install it, and finish the final phase of the setup process.

Right now, my concern is, if I click on upgrade instead of custom, would I still be able to keep all of my stuff that is on my HDD, and install the OS on my SSD?

And just to note, I currently have my folder's documents, pictures, and videos set onto my HDD as default folders's location instead of my SSD location so that it does not take up space.

And last but not least, would I still be able to re-use my Windows 10 Pro product key? This is my first computer and my first key purchased, so I would like to know if it's re-usable. Just to note that I bought it off from SCDKey.com because, who the hell wants to pay over $100 for a Windows 10 Home. And it works, it is a legit key.

If the OS is installed on the SSD, then nothing on the HDD should be affected no matter HOW you do the installation, However, you should ALWAYS choose the "Custom" method and wipe out ALL of the existing partitions on the OS drive because something in the EFI or boot partitions COULD be related to your problem.

Also, the HDD should NOT be connected to the motherboard when you perform this process anyhow, so that you cannot accidentally allow Windows to use the HDD for the restore, EFI or boot partitions, and yes, it does that sometimes. Don't ask why, but we see it happen frequently.

You should have no problem activating your Windows install after the installation, BUT, you want to make sure your Windows installation is attached to YOU through a registered Microsoft account before you do this. That way you have a digital entitlement that allows you to move that OS from build to build with no nonsense problems from changing hardware.

Read this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

And this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

And then follow these instructions, to the letter:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Also, it would be a good idea to make sure you have the latest motherboard bios installed before you do the installation AND that you have CSM disabled and UEFI mode enabled, in the bios, prior to doing the installation UNLESS you have non-UEFI compatible hardware you plan to use with the build that would affect not implementing those settings.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018

So let's say if all goes well, is it best for me to shut down my PC and switch the PSU to the OFF position and THEN plug in the HDD, or could I do that while it is still on and reformat it from there? And would my drive letter still be the same and if not, would I have to change the drive letter and drive name again? I know how to get the other drives to show up after installing the OS. It wasn't that difficult of a process.

EVERY TIME you add or remove a piece of hardware from your system, ie, connecting or disconnecting from the power supply or motherboard, the system should be powered off and the switch on the back of the PSU turned off.

So, power off. Connect the SATA connector to the SSD and connect it to the SATA 0 or 1 SATA header on your motherboard, whichever is the lowest numbered header available. For some boards, 0 is the lowest. For others 1 is the lowest. That is the primary header and should always be used for the C: drive when possible. Where you connect the HDD is up to you, but I generally go with the next lowest numbered header, so if the SSD is on 0 then connect the HDD to SATA 1. If the SSD is connected to 1, then connect the HDD to SATA 2.

Then connect the SATA power connectors to your drives. Then power on, enter the bios, set your USB drive that is already plugged in as the boot device, or click on that device as a boot override if your bios has that feature, and install to the drive following the instructions I linked to.

All of this is assuming you have already checked that you have the latest bios version installed. If you do not, per your motherboard product page, then I would do that first.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018

Thanks, man for the information! Sorry for all of the questions. This is my first time building a computer and after a couple of months with it, I ran into some issues which I assumed it would because custom PCs can tend to have more issues than pre-builts and that troubleshooting might occur. I kind of have a feeling that sooner or later, I'm gonna have an issue. But hey, I'm a newbie, and I'm still learning. I know a lot of hardware and basic software troubleshooting, but I am nowhere near as good as a troubleshooter as JayzTwoCents from YouTube. I wished I can have him help me since he practically knows just about everything from building a computer, to troubleshooting, gaming, and taking cautions in his step-by-step process in whatever he is doing. I just wish I have the mind of JayzTwoCents. He is one of my favorite tech YouTuber. I learned a lot from him and BitWit as well aka Kyle.

Usually, custom built systems you build yourself tend to have FEWER problems than prebuilt ones. Probably fully 10% of the issues we deal with here on a daily basis are due to mistakes made by whomever did the assembly for places like CyberpowerPC or iBuypowerPC.

I have no wish to offend you, or anybody else, but most of the names you mentioned are on the short list of most veteran builders as figures whose channels and websites we recommend avoiding due to the gross number of stupid mistakes and outright inaccuracies they translate into recommendations and advice. Certainly some of them sometimes have something useful to offer, but most of the veteran members of this and many other sites, with no "channels" or fans, know more about building PCs and configuring systems, in our little fingers, than any of those popular personalities. I've probably forgotten more about hardware assembly than Jay2cents will ever know. Possibly.

That's not to say that those sources don't have their own kind of usefulness. Surely they do. Not everything they say and do is wrong for sure. Just enough of it that you can't always take what they say to heart.