cant change file associations back to windows photo viewer

Sep 24, 2018
I added the windows photo viewer registry hack to enable it again
and it worked for one file format.

but when I try to change the default program for jpg files it does not change.
it reverts back to the stupid 3d paint because I deleted the new photo viewer that came with windows 10 because it was stupid.

when I go to file associations in settings it will not show the windows photo viewer in the available app options and will not let me change the file association.
pretty much its forcing me to use the new garbage

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I was having this same problem today. I tried using the "Open With" menu and tried both the old Control Panel and the new Windows Settings, none of which worked. It probably depends on where you got the registry to enable Windows Photo Viewer.

Here's what I did to fix this.

I downloaded the "Restore_Windows_Photo_Viewer_CURRENT_USER.reg" from here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14312-restore-windows-photo-viewer-windows-10-a.html and merged it into my registry by double clicking on it.

The next time I went to open .png file it automatically popped up and asked me to choose an App. It did the same for .gif files. From there I selected Windows Photo Viewer and the setting was saved/remember like it should be.

choosefiletype.jpg

After looking at the registry file, I think it's safe to assume that it resets the viewer for these file types:
.bmp
.cr2
.gif
.ico
.jfif
.jpeg
.jpg
.png
.tif
.tiff
and .wdp.

Latest posts