[SOLVED] connecting a dell monitor to an asus desktop

Oct 11, 2018
I was wondering if I can use a vga to hdmi cable to hook up my dell monitor. I have a vga cable but it is not detecting the monitor. So I was wondering if the other cable will work. I know that it will work with a tv but I don't want to use it. Please assist. My dell monitor has only a vga connection.
Thanking you in advance

Solution
You can use any monitor that has matching connections to the PC. If your PC has no VGA output but your monitor has only VGA input, you will need an active adapter (A/D converter), unless the adapter cable you are using has a built-in active converter. Modern gfx cards no longer provide obsolete analog (VGA) output.
Some active adapters work better than others. Some only allow for certain resolutions. What rez is your monitor?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You can use any monitor that has matching connections to the PC. If your PC has no VGA output but your monitor has only VGA input, you will need an active adapter (A/D converter), unless the adapter cable you are using has a built-in active converter. Modern gfx cards no longer provide obsolete analog (VGA) output.
Some active adapters work better than others. Some only allow for certain resolutions. What rez is your monitor?

Solution
Oct 11, 2018

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Size isn't important. But the monitor's native resolution is with some of the cheaper active adapters. I think all active adapters will do 1920x080, tho.