MBR and GPT on a new PC

Oct 12, 2018
My parents bought a new PC and they want me to install Win 10 on it. My PC is still using Win 7.

I want to create a win 10 bootable USB flash drive using RUFUS, but my HDD is MBR and i can ASSUME the new HDD my parents bought is GPT? (WD caviar blue 1TB)... I undestood that this can cause a problem installing win 10 on the new PC.

What should i do? Do i need to to convert my HDD to GPT?

Solution
NO, you can create the USB on your PC, the format of your drives doesn't make any difference when it comes to creating the USB

The hdd won't have any format on it, it will be unallocated space

MBR/GPT are the formats windows uses. The hdd will only become GPT once win 10 is installed on it.

You shouldn't need to use rufus, the media creation tool can make an installer USB for you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
NO, you can create the USB on your PC, the format of your drives doesn't make any difference when it comes to creating the USB

The hdd won't have any format on it, it will be unallocated space

MBR/GPT are the formats windows uses. The hdd will only become GPT once win 10 is installed on it.

You shouldn't need to use rufus, the media creation tool can make an installer USB for you.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do your parents have a license for win 10? You can install it on a PC without a license, it will just be inactivated, but it works better if you have one.

It shouldn't stop you creating the ISO if you have a win 7 license, it doesn't know what PC you installing it on. It has an option to create installer for another PC