Comments & Critiques for my $1k Gaming / Multipurpose PC build

Oct 12, 2018
Hi everybody,

I am contemplating my first PC build, and I wanted to throw out my current parts list to get feedback on whether I am spending too much / am picking bad parts / am insane / etc. I've looked around at a few tutorials (mostly on Tom's Hardware, blessed site that it is) and some builds people have posted online, including this forum's $1k PC build thread, and I think my choices are at least ok, but I'd like to get the perspective of some seasoned veterans, since I don't fully trust my own judgment.

First, some background: I have been wanting to build a gaming PC for a little while now. I am not a very serious gamer, but many of my friends are, and I'd like to be able to join them online occasionally. I'd also simply like to expand my gaming repertoir from the list of games my poor little all-in-one laptop can support (think Minecraft and Civ V if I push it). So, I don't need a PC that can play every game conceivable in 4k 60Hz VR on Ultra settings, but I want to be confident that if something comes out in the next few years, I can probably at least get it to run.

I would also like a computer that has a lot of room for me to play around in. I'd love to be able to try my hand at machine learning (maybe ANNs, genetic algorithms, <buzzword>, <buzzword>, <buzzword>) and maybe some GPGPU development, since that seems to be up-and-coming. I'd also love to have room to try some home automation (e.g., setting up a server VM that hosts a media service, or something). I don't have a lot of concrete ideas yet, which is why I want to build a rig that's beefy enough to handle whatever I come up with down the road.

Finally, since I can't plan for every eventuality, I want a setup that I can easily upgrade when I need to.

And I want to do it all for a pricetag on the order of $1,000. :)

So, with that in mind, here is my current parts list from PCPartPicker. I will go into more detail about my choices later.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($100.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card ($189.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.77 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - UM.WV6AA.B01 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($89.37 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - M325 Wireless Optical Mouse ($14.99 @ Dell)
Total: $1023.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-10 16:04 EDT-0400

This, I feel, is good overall, although I'd love to get the price down even further if I can. Most of these things can be changed, but I absolutely must have an NVIDIA graphics card (so I can use their CUDA API for GPGPU development), and I really don't want to go much cheaper on the power supply, as that's a part I don't want to have to worry about breaking on me. I don't want to spend a ton on the case (I don't care about it being flashy, a black brick is dandy with me), but I don't want to cheap out too much. A bad case, while not perhaps system-killing, I think would be more irritating than it is worth.

I also chose a number of these parts to support overclocking. I may not do it immediately, but I'd like to have the option at some point.

Finally, I chose to go with an AMD processor for a few reasons. Firstly, it appeals to the hipster in me to go for AMD over Intel (I try to drown him in coffee and craft beers, but he keeps coming back). Also, I have gotten the impression that AMD processors run cheaper than Intel for similar performance (Tom's Hardware's review of the 2600X shows it almost always in the best price/performance spot). However, I have not done an extensive comparison of Ryzen processors with their Intel counterparts, so this impression is only an impression. Still, I also like the fact that I don't have to make sure that the processor is the "unlocked" version if I want to overclock (unlike Intel), and the 2600X comes with a cooler, which is one fewer part I have to select / buy.

So, with all of that down, what do you think? Are there places I'm not seeing where I can cut cost? Am I cutting cost in places where it's really not advantageous to do so? Is leaving Intel for AMD really not worth it?

Thanks in advance!

You'll want faster RAM to get the most out of Ryzen. I haven't checked your motherboards QVL. But the customer reviews I saw show it works on Ryzen at 2933Mhz.

The recommended minimum SSD nowadays is 240GB. Especially since they are so cheap. You won't regret the extra capacity.

This is just personal preference. When it comes to mice, especially wireless mice. You should spend a little extra for a gaming model.

The Ryzen 2600 is a much better deal. It does well gaming at stock speeds. It is the same CPU as a 2600x with a different factory clock. It is easy to OC to 2600x speeds and has the same max OC limits. Plus or minus your luck in the CPU lottery.

Everything else is good. I'd just mention that a 2TB hard drive costs very little extra.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($160.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($97.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($125.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.94 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card ($189.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.77 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech - G602 Wireless Optical Mouse ($36.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $1003.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-12 11:25 EDT-0400

As for AMD vs Intel. Both are good for general purpose and gaming. AMD gives you more for the money. Especially when you OC. Unless you are pairing with a high end GPU like a 1080Ti and going for max FPS at 1920x1080 on a 144hz or 240hz monitor. Then buying a high end i7/i9. Intel isn't necessary.

With your monitor and GPU. It won't make a difference. Especially considering the available Intel CPU in that price range.

VelocityG4 covered most of what I would have said. I absolutely agree about going with faster RAM for Ryzen, as it will affect the processor's performance, and shouldn't cost much more for DDR4-3000. Just make sure to enable the faster speed in the BIOS.

On the topic of storage, if you don't think you'll need a significant amount of bulk storage for things like video, or lots of games installed at once, or if you have an existing drive that you could reuse for that, you could optionally skip the hard drive entirely, and increase the SSD capacity to around 500GB for about the same price as a 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD. On the other hand, if you think you could use more storage, prices for 2TB hard drives start at only around $15 more than the 1TB models, for double the capacity.

Also, while the Ryzen 2600 can be overclocked to 2600X performance levels, you might want to add a third-party cooler for that, since it comes with a smaller cooler in the box than the X version. Even a $30 120mm tower cooler (such as a Freezer 33 eSports ONE) should cool better and quieter than either of those stock coolers, and you would still be paying less for similar performance if you overclock.

Another place where you might be able to save some money on the system would be to go with a lower-cost B450 motherboard, as some of them start for as little as $70.

Also, if you're looking for a cheap mouse, it might be worth passing on a wireless model entirely, since they can introduce additional input latency, which isn't ideal for gaming. There are some cheap wired gaming mice from lesser-known brands for below $20 that use the same sensors found in higher-end gaming mice that might be worth looking at, though I can't vouch for their build quality. Searching Amazon for "gaming mouse" brings up a number of them, though you would want to look through reviews to determine which might be worth trying.

Tugrul_512bit

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Take this as a grain of salt:

Using OpenCL, AMD GPU can get more pure core power but Nvidia has better caching system.

CUDA has better libraries than OpenCL but its copyright terms can be different than an open source API.

What kind of buzzwords are there? 64bit floating point? Then HD7970 is literally best except when you can find an unlocked first Titan from nVidia. But that needs bigger PSU, which can be good if youre going to upgrade to newer powerful cards. But first Titan's cuda version is lower than gtx1060 (was it Kepler?). Using old drivers is bad for gaming so this can be blue pill red pill situation.

For machine learning and 32bit floating point performance ofcourse Nvidia's latest generations are very good.

Also that CPU's 12 threads are way enough to push that GPU to its limits using CUDA streams and things.

Nice balanced system you've picked.

Here's my "hypotetical" unbalanced 10% more expensive threadripper system. Don't know if it is legitimate.

part list
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/tugrul512bit/saved/#view=sr6299

threadripper 1920x
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cRDzK8/amd-threadripper-1920x-35ghz-12-core-processor-yd192xa8aewof

cheapest cooler
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TJgzK8/cooler-master-ma621p-tr4-534-cfm-cpu-cooler-map-d6pn-218pc-r2

cheapest mainboard
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wMjWGX/asus-prime-x399-a-eatx-tr4-motherboard-prime-x399-a

cheapest memory system
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xjp323/gskill-memory-f42400c15d8gvr
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xjp323/gskill-memory-f42400c15d8gvr

cheapest storage
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QMh9TW/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd5000avcs

cheapest gpu(not sure if supports CUDA)
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/s3YWGX/gigabyte-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-silent-low-profile-video-card-gv-n1030sl-2gl

cheapest pc case
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2Zvbt6/deepcool-matrexx-55-atx-mid-tower-case-matrexx-55

cheapest power supply
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x4R48d/rosewill-power-supply-arc650

cheapest monitor
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6NGj4D/sceptre-monitor-e225w1920

cheapest mouse
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JGCwrH/logitech-mouse-910001439

Not sure if 2xdual memory is ok for a threadripper since it has 2 dies in 1 die. Maybe it still needs a quad kit?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($160.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($97.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($125.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.84 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 8GB DUAL Video Card ($230.40 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.89 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($32.98 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech - G602 Wireless Optical Mouse ($36.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $996.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-15 15:28 EDT-0400