What would you pick? $1000 developer and designer build.

Oct 12, 2018
I built my current system back in 2012. It has always been Ubuntu for me, which I love and need to continue to use. It's time to replace it and I have no idea how to pick some of the components. What would you do, with the use case and parameters below? (just computer, not monitors)

Use cases:

• Software development, coding, etc.
    Graphic design work in Photoshop

NOT-Use Cases:

• Gaming

Parameters:

Run Ubuntu as the OS.
    2 or 3 monitors, using the same connector type so that the monitors can be calibrated and have identical performance and colors.
    Around $1000.

Components I know I want:

• Intel i7 Processor
    DVD drive (guessing this rules out many gaming cases...)
    Samsung SSD (have already, doesn't count towards $$)

What would you pick for:

• Motherboard
    Case
    RAM (16GB)
    Power Supply
    Video Card (again, not for gaming but need 2 or 3 of the same connector) - for graphic design in PS.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I guess we need to start with some preferences.

How large a computer do you want? Any color preferences?

Shouldn't be too difficult to find a GPU with 3 display ports. Pretty sure AMD is still favored when it comes to graphics drivers on Linux.

Oct 12, 2018

The case? Standard size. Black would be nice. As above, needs to allow for a DVD drive. Other than that I don't care.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I know memory bandwidth is good for photo editing, so I went with an overclocking capable setup. Should just be able to enable XMP and get the 3200Mhz memory. GPU has three display ports so matching cables. It does end up being quite capable of decent gaming, but that is just a consequence of having a decent GPU. I left the drive in there, but without it does get under 1K$

The alternative is to wait a few weeks for the 9th generation CPUs to be more reasonably priced. Though the 6c/12t i7-8700k is not likely to lose its value (new offering is a 8c/8t or for $500 a 8c/16t CPU)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Kotetsu 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($103.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 4GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.56 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($21.65 @ Amazon)
Total: $1005.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-12 14:03 EDT-0400

Oct 12, 2018
Sick! That is SO helpful. Thank you thank you!

>Pretty sure AMD is still favored when it comes to graphics drivers on Linux.
I'll look into this too...