Theories on Folders

Dave8671

Distinguished
I am not trying to solve this but I need to have thoughts on why this has occurred. This system members know its the very old HP E9210T which is being replaced soon with a new build. The time has come thread.

History of this issue

On another user account on this same system I had a music folder that had the same issue.

- Cannot be deleted and its has not Security info for folders of this type the groups of names for a folder states

- The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed
- Try to delete it windows states can not be found.

I created a new user account and all was well till one day I was backing up my documents folder and it flagged a folder in my documents sub folder with the same issue FreeFileSync can not copy data from that folder.

Right now the main folder for that sub folder is labeled bad folder cause I can not delete any of them.
But I can copy data from them which I find odd.

Its either windows having a data issue for reasons I do not understand or a HDD issue from a formatting. Note this drive is going to be recycled since I do not trust it now New drive for new build.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
when windows cannot/will not delete a file, linux does. make a USB drive with linux on it, boot to the linux distro on the usb drive. mount the hard drive and delete the folders once and for all (backup any needed data first). shut down and reboot into windows with the offending folders gone

google rufus and use it to extract your chosen ISO to the USB

I have no ides why some folders become stubbornly persistent, but I do know how to get rid of them

Dave8671

Distinguished
Well What I did was I had Linux mint on my laptop and I connected through the network to my documents folder on windows and I removed that bad folder that way and its gone. I was not planning on solving this but its solved.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

I am a huge fan of puppy linux. its freaking tiny and the entire OS loads to RAM. very useful.
Every geek needs a puppy

stdragon

Admirable
Understand NTFS ACL permission.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/technet-magazine/cc160775(v=msdn.10)

If you can't delete a folder, it's ether because you don't have the access to do so (meaning your account is not a member of the local Administrative group), or there is a file inside the folder that's locked and in use by a process/application.

Dave8671

Distinguished
These were documents and pdfs on the folder that had this issue. On the other user account it was the music mp3 folder.

I am administer this system always have been. This issue only happens on the primary c drive. My backup drive never had this occur yet. I offen wondered if an update caused it or I used glary utilities to clean the system registry maybe it cleaned to well but i used this software for years. This if course is all speculation on my part.

stdragon

Admirable
The registry has no bearing on NTFS permissions. In fact, the registry hive is a database itself with its own set of permissions for each object as well.

There are certain circumstances where you might have to take ownership of the folder and all child objects within it. Once done, you can assign any user account full control (read/write). But again, if there's a running process that has an op-lock on a file in that directory, making any ownership or permission change will be met with denial.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I just read the link stdragon posted

Understand NTFS ACL permission.

Whoa I will have to dissect that one. After reading it I am going to look at what a new folder has for permissions on this system.

Dave8671

Distinguished
This issue occurred again this tine on a USB drive. I got files off a linux laptop using
My passport drive and I went to my win7 desktop and transferred most of them fine. But I have a folder from the linux LP that had the same issue. Though this time I could not remove it in linux or windows. I had to format it. Could permissions from either OS conflict and cause this issue. I do share my win7 c: on the network.

stdragon

Admirable
ACL permission can prevent access. From another OS with the drive directly attached, you can reset the ACLs to "EVERYONE" which effectively opens up the access to unrestricted.

stdragon

Admirable
FYI, never share out the root of your C drive unless you know exactly what you're doing. I know that it's available to machines joined to a Windows domain ("\\hostname\c$") with a domain admin account, but for everyone else you should be sharing data at the folder level, not the root of a drive.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I really do not know and I should, what are the standard permissions on a new created folder? I want to compare my permissions my systems has to what is standard.

Than I just create share public folder calling it Linux share with say admin access only? But how would I access that on Linux?

This is windows 7 SP1 I am about to change to a new built system of windows 10 in a few days. Do not want this issue on my new system. If its my fault I need to find out. If I want to shard a folder how is the best way not for everyone to see but with a password?

New created folder on my backup drive security
Authenticated Users
SYSTEM
Administrators (PC1\administrators
USERS (PC1\USERS

In Documents new folder security
SYSTEM
Administrators (PC1\administrators
USERS (PC1\USERS

Thanks

stdragon

Admirable
I don't use the wizard, but give it a try.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-do-i-share-folders-in-windows-7-with-the-shared-folder-wizard/

TRENDING THREADS