BSOD- DPC Watchdog Violation, crashes to "No Bootable Device"

troggs

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
Hello! I have a brand new (literally pulled it out of the box yesterday) Acer Predator Helios 300 (model PH315-51) laptop, and after about 3-4 hours of use the laptop froze for about 15 seconds, then crashed to a blue screen with the text:

":( your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. 0% complete. Stop Code: DPC_Watchdog_Violation".

The percentage doesn't increase, and rather than restarting the computer just crashes to a black screen that reads "No Bootable Device".

I held down power until the machine powered off, then hit power again and it booted up without issue. I was able to logon to Windows and use the computer normally for another two hours or so until the exact same crash pattern occurred. The same situation occurred about ~30 minutes after the next boot up, and ~2 hours after that. I had installed all the Windows updates prior to the crashes occurring (update checker showed the computer up to date), but this morning there were additional updates which I just finished installing (Feature update to Windows 10 version 1803; Update for adobe flash player... KB4462930; 2018-09 Update for Windows 10 version 1803 for x64-based systems KB4100347; and 2018-09 Security update for adobe flash player...KB4100347). It's possible one of those updates could solve the issue, but it happens so randomly I can't be sure, and if it were a common enough problem to be addressed by a Windows update like that I feel as though it would have been addressed before now.

It's a brand new laptop, and the only things I've done to it are install a 2gb Seagate HDD (initialized as GPT and created a single volume for additional storage, nothing crazy). I haven't touched the stock SSD. The crashes have continued to occur with no common frequency or similarities in what I was doing. I've never been doing anything intensive when the errors occurred, only browsing the web and downloading wallpapers.

What I've done so far:
1. Ensure BIOS is up to date (it was)
2. Ensure drivers for both SDD and HDD are up to date in Device Manager (they were)
3. Ensure driver for Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCI RST Premium Controller is up to date (it was) (http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128566/fix-windows-error-dpc-watchdog-violation.html)

What I have not done:
1. Reinstalled Windows 10 (it's a brand new computer, I didn't think that would be necessary and it's a lot of hassle)
2. Disconnected the Seagate SSD (I intend to run the computer with this HDD for additional storage, and since it has no boot information on it I didn't think it would be contributing to the problem. Additionally, since the crashes are occurring anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours after startup, there's no way for me to actually test whether the HDD is the cause once I've removed it).

Apologies for the long post, I just wanted to include as much information as possible. I've seen plenty of other posts about problems with DPC_Watchdog_Violation, but I haven't seen any that lead to black screen "No Bootable Device" or match my exact circumstances. I'm not really sure where to go from here other than try and exchange the laptop with Amazon, but I'm not sure they'll take it since it technically boots up, and the crashes appear random. I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks a ton!

Model: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 bit
CPU: Intel i7 8750H
GPU: GTX 1060
RAM: 16 GB
SSD: INTEL SSDPEKKW256GW
HDD: Seagate 2TB Barracuda ST2000LM015

troggs

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017

Just crashed again after about 6 hours of use. There are no distinct motherboard driver updates on Acer's site for this laptop. There are a few drivers up there that might be relevant, like "Chipset Driver", or "Intel Matrix Storage Manager", but frankly I have no idea what they do, or how to tell if I already have that version.

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Hi troggs,

I do not have a solution for you, sorry, but I just wanted to say that I'm having what seems to be the exact same issue, albeit on an older computer. The symptoms seem to be identical. I have subscribed to this thread to stay updated, and I will let you know if I find a solution when I make my own thread, which will be very soon.

Best of luck to you.

troggs

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017

Thanks very much for the help, I'm glad you were able to resolve your problem. I tried everything I could find and nothing ended up working for me, so I returned the laptop and exchanged it for a different one. I've had no problems over two days of use, so it sounds like it was a hardware problem.

Nov 23, 2018

Hi! I'm having exactly the same issue with the same 2018 Helios 300 laptop. I have tried everything you've tried and nothing worked. I suspect there might be a hard drive compatibility issue since I'm using an old WD 320GB hard drive from 2011. Currently I'm testing if the computer runs into the issue without hard drive installed. If the issue is gone, I'll have to purchase a new storage, probably an SSD this time. Otherwise, I'll have to return the computer for something else.

Update: The problem is probably with the boot drive ssd that comes with the laptop. Without any hard drive, the laptop kept running to the same issue. I didn't bother to try throw in a new boot drive. I have returned the laptop and built a desktop instead.

Dec 27, 2018
Well I have recently bought myself the Helios 300 laptop as well. I have the exact same symptoms as OP and have not yet been able to figure out what the reason for this is. What I also notice is, that when I play CS:GO I experience micro stuttering from time to time even on low graphical settings. I have no idea if this is related but I guess it is. Also the bluescreens seem to happen more often when doing demanding tasks on the computer, but from time to time they just happen when the computer is idle.

I wonder if completely resetting the PC might help with this. Deleting everything on it and manually installing all the predator and NVIDIA software again.

Would be great if somebody could give more info on this.

Jan 16, 2019
Hey, So I also have a brand new Predator Helios 300 and have been experiencing the same exact issue... but by going through error logs and googling, I have found a solution! This has fixed it 100% for me. Just wanted to come back here and share it with everyone, because I was stressing over this for a little bit. Copy and pasted from microsoft forums:

In system event viewer, I started getting error Event ID: 10016 after upgrading to Win8.1 on October 17, 2013. The system event viewer on my Dell XPS One 2710 was error free prior to upgrading from Win8 to Win8.1.

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For me, the solution was provided by Greg310 in Dulwichdik's link as follows:

1. Open Regedit
2. Go to HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID\{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
3. Right click on it then select permissions
4. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group. Also click the box that will appear below the owner line. ("Replace owner ...")
5. Apply full control

6. Go to HKEY_LocalMachine\Software\Classes\AppID\{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
7. Right click on it then select permission
8. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group
9. Click the box that will appear below the owner line
10. Click Apply and grant full control to the Administrators group

11. Go to Administrative tools
12. Open component services
13. Click Computer, click my computer, then click DCOM
14. Look for the corresponding service that appears on the error viewer [Immersive Shell]
15. Right click on it then click properties
16. Click security tab then click Add User. Add Local Service then apply
17. Tick the Activate local box

Thank you Daniel MoisesMagulado and Greg310 for addressing the problem and providing the solution!