Windows 10 1809 update ruined my BIOS

Oct 14, 2018
Hello learned members, I recently updated (manually) my Windows 10 OS to 1809. Everything seems to be working fine, I lost no files or programs. The real shock came when I verified my BIOS settings: Only one (1) option is surviving, I can boot into Windows, I can no longer boot from a dvd, a usb stick or another HDD. These possibilities were available before the update to 1809. They have utterly disapeared!! I have an ASUS notebook with 128 GB ssd and 1TB HDD (ASUS x756 ub). Any ideas on getting back to normal??

Oct 14, 2018

Hello, thank you for answering my question. I had to use my cell phone to take pictures of the screens as per your request, no other method is available in my BIOS. I have taken three pictures, one with the only surviving boot option, one with advanced options which allow one to see the SATA configuration and the last one with the three devices on my notebook. P2 is the ssd with Windows and its bootloader. How do I upload these to the forum?

Thx

Oct 14, 2018

Thank you for your reply and your patience with me. This is the url:https://postimg.cc/gallery/11fjbtswq/

Regards

Oct 14, 2018
The Asus flash update utility says there is no update available for me. I have gone to default settings but no avail. I will look in the secure boot thing later today.

Thx and rgds

Oct 14, 2018
Edit: secure boot is no longer available, it used to be there! The only thing I have now is the option "Fast boot".
Edit1: Edit: I'm afraid I overlooked the security tab, my apologies. This tab brings me to the entry Secure boot(enabled) which cannot be changed and the entry Secure Boot Control where there is a combo box with the choice between enabled and disabled. It is currently enabled. It is Legacy boot which is not present as a choice.

Oct 14, 2018

That was my original idea as well, but ... creating boot option #2 or #3 is rather simple as far as the first step goes. But then there are additional choices to be made where, alas, my knowledge is simply insufficient. I will try again with the first, simple, step and come back to the forum with the choices that have to be made (more pictures I'm afraid).

Thx

Oct 14, 2018
@karenjoly
@Peter Martin

Good evening, I have not been idle waiting for a miracle to happen but, while playing around, I discovered that I could reach my BIOS also when tapping Esc rather than the usual F2 during start up. The screen is however slightly different. I also tried to boot from a dvd with the Linux Mint 19 iso and from a Windows 10 recovery dvd. They both booted normally when I pressed the DVDRAM choice. This choice does not show up when I use the F2 route, even with the dvd's in the tray.
- link: https://i.postimg.cc/B6QcQ4dw/IMG-20181017-165417.jpg
So this "may" be a possible work-around. I'm still trying to create additional boot entries in the full blown BIOS sofar without succes. I will comment some more when I have time to do further testing.

nekerev80