First Boot Always Crashes

Oct 14, 2018
I have an HP - Envy x360 AMD Ryzen 5 running Windows 10. I just upgraded the hard drive to a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO and upgraded the RAM to the Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16 GB (8GB x 2 2400 mHz). Now, if I leave the computer off for a few minutes, it will always show a green or grey screen then crash on the first start up. The crash happens around the time it gets to the screen to enter my password (sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes a bit later). When it crashes, it will automatically restart and the second start up will always work fine. After the second boot, it will never crash. It will also not crash if I put it to sleep then wake it up again.

I went to the HP website to update the bios, but it appears I have the latest version. I disabled the fast boot setting in Windows 10, but it hasn't fixed it. I also made sure that Windows 10 has the latest update.

Solution
it can be a chip leg that is not properly soldered. you turn off the system and the leg contracts away from the solder pad and you don't get a connection. you power on the system the chip heats up and the leg expands and touches the pad. if this happens with a memory chip then and the leg is part of the memory address lines then the memory address for the block changes.

but if you reboot while the chip is warm, it will be thermally expanded and will make the connection and will work until the machine is cool for a few minutes.

try and boot into bios, leave the machine on for a few minutes then do a ware reboot and see if it works as expected.

hopefully the problem will be in a RAM stick, you would have to remove the sticks and...
it can be a chip leg that is not properly soldered. you turn off the system and the leg contracts away from the solder pad and you don't get a connection. you power on the system the chip heats up and the leg expands and touches the pad. if this happens with a memory chip then and the leg is part of the memory address lines then the memory address for the block changes.

but if you reboot while the chip is warm, it will be thermally expanded and will make the connection and will work until the machine is cool for a few minutes.

try and boot into bios, leave the machine on for a few minutes then do a ware reboot and see if it works as expected.

hopefully the problem will be in a RAM stick, you would have to remove the sticks and try to isolate the problem. (if you have a stereoscope, and you remove the heat sinks from the ram sticks you might be able to see the bad solder connection or a broken circuit trace. ) generally these are hard to find, most people replace the ram to see if that is the problem or they replace the machine.

if it is a bad connection or crack in a trace they are very hard to find.

the same effect can happen with poorly connected cables. So check all the connections fi you can.

sometimes you you have a bunch of memory dumps you can get hints at the cause of the problem. ie you can put up the memory dumps from c:\windows\minidump directory on to a cloud server, share the files for public access and post a link.

Solution
Oct 14, 2018
Thanks for the thorough response!

I found out that my bios wasn't actually fully updated. I tried the incorrect update from the HP Software and Driver Downloads website initially. I found the correct update and updated the bios. Haven't had the issue since.

If I start to get the issue again, I will switch the RAM back to the old one, but hopefully I won't have the issue anymore.