Startup very slow after Windows 10 updates.

Oct 15, 2018
Hi,

I have an Asus K501UX with Intel Core i5 and GTX950m. It comes with Windows 10, and it has 1TB HDD with (at least) 16GB SSD for faster startup.

When I first got it, my startup times were less than 20 seconds, and that was true until the windows 10 1803 update. After that the boot has been either slow or fast depending on the updates.

This last period startup has been extremely slow, and it gets worse with every update.

Can I do anything about this, considering that the updates might have "forgot" about my SSHD?

Thanks.

PS. Already tried disabling fast startup (and enabling it), it did the trick like 4 months ago but not anymore.

Lutfij

Titan
You can backup your critical content from the OS drive/partition, recreate your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and format and reinstall the OS. Windows 10 is known to have a mind of it's own, sometimes, which is why I advocate the practice of backing up your critical content in case Windows decides to go south from the border. Having a portable storage drive helps in these cases.

sounds like you are using a small ssd as a cache ( 16GB ssd)
when you update the new files have to be weighted and over write the cache.
you should see if there is a way to clear the small ssd cache with a tool or in bios.

these were hybrid systems, I would guess you have a intel smart technology ssd caching .
see if they have a tool to clear the cache, otherwise you will have to drop it out of the cache, wipe it and reinstall it as a cache drive. overtime the cache will time out the old file entries and will cache the new files.

or are you just using the ssd for some file directory?

in any case you should download and run crystaldiskinfo.exe and look at the smart data to see if the drive is having errors. SSD drives have problems if they run out of space, the firmware needs space to relocate blocks when they get a write failure. (the blocks are marked bad and the drive gets smaller over time)