What just happened to Intel prices?

Oct 29, 2015
Few weeks back I was tossing a coin between I5-8400 & R5-2600 as they were virtually the same price.
Now I see I5-8400 is nearly double the R5! £283 compared to £147 according to Partpicker UK!
Guess the choice is a no brainer now but what the heck just happened?

There is a big shortage for intel chips so the prices are going up.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Its happening across the globe. In Australia the I7-8700K was AUD$450 about 8 weeks ago, just checked the price and they are now AUD$589.

Any intel 14nm chip is affected and will continue to be as their is a global shortage, doesnt appear there will be a rectification anytime soon, one of the major arguments for the influx of AMD gamers.... I see more AMD setups on this forum now than Intel !!!

Intel is looking at farming out their 14nm chipset production to TSMC and possibly going back to 22nm for some of their chipsets, but it's going to take a while for either of those things to happen and alleviate the production problems. This is a result of Intel's failure to get their 10nm process working, they expected to be on 10nm for their CPUs now so they could use their 14nm fabs for chipsets, but now they have to do both chipsets and CPUs on 14nm and they don't have the production capacity to keep up.