How to get best image quality between modern PC and old VGA monitor

ttran7701

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
I have an old NEC VGA monitor. I want to use it with a GTX 1070, which is missing the pin that makes it work with VGA (the GTX 980 was the last video card to support VGA). In terms of image quality, what is the best way to get video to the VGA monitor. I've heard I can use an ACTIVE DVI-to-VGA converter, which is powered. Someone suggested an Active HDMI-to-VGA and pair it with a DVI-to-HDMI converter. Any thoughts?

Solution
Yes, you can use an active DVI - D to analog RGB converter and, if the card has no analog capability, that is the only way to connect to an analog only monitor.

If you are using your PC to display modern encrypted content then make sure you get a converter that has this capability or nothing will play.

In terms of display quality, I find very little difference caused by the type of connection (analog or digital) if quality cables are used. In general, modern fixed pixel displays look best when fed their native resolution.

Older CRT monitors can switch resolutions but they still have a phosphor pitch that acts as the equivalent of a native res so, they also look best when fed something close to their sweet spot res.

I keep analog CRT...

ttran7701

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
No I mean the best way to set up PC to VGA. Once a upon a time, a simple pin adapter worked great for modern video cards. However, after the GTX 980 Nvidia removed the pin which allowed this. Now, you need to an active digital to analog converter. I've never tried this and wanted to know the best way to do this: whether HDMI-to-VGA or DVI-to-VGA or perhaps something else entirely?

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
Yes, you can use an active DVI - D to analog RGB converter and, if the card has no analog capability, that is the only way to connect to an analog only monitor.

If you are using your PC to display modern encrypted content then make sure you get a converter that has this capability or nothing will play.

In terms of display quality, I find very little difference caused by the type of connection (analog or digital) if quality cables are used. In general, modern fixed pixel displays look best when fed their native resolution.

Older CRT monitors can switch resolutions but they still have a phosphor pitch that acts as the equivalent of a native res so, they also look best when fed something close to their sweet spot res.

I keep analog CRT arcade monitors for vintage gaming (240p, 384p and 480p) as old arcade games look horrible on modern displays. For everything else, it looks best on an HD flatscreen.

So.... unless you are looking to play vintage games.... it's time to upgrade to a digital monitor.

Solution

ttran7701

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
You're, right of course; but I'm dreading the whole dead pixels and light bleed QA issues that I hear about modern monitors. Then, there is ghosting and lag; two issues I've never had to deal with on my CRT. Then, there is view angles. At least, you don't have to adjust the borders on a modern monitor.