Will installing more software than needed slows down the system?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I use Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere and Acrobat Pro. IT at school told me that I could use all Adobe products for free. If I install Adobe Creative Cloud which includes 2-3 times more programs than I currently need, will the system be slowed down?

Solution
It could slow down over time with an HDD as files become fragmented. Fragmentation occurs when a file is written in several different spots on a disk. So it takes the spinning disk a little longer to find each fragment of the file. Fragmenting your every once in a while will solve this issue. SSD's dont have spinning disk, so there is nothing to fragment.
If it is running in the background, then yes it will use more system resources. Pending on your system, it may slow it down and it may not. If you have a high end system, then probably not. But if yours system is already pushing its available processing power, then it will slow down. But you can install the software and don't enable them on startup. Then, when you need them just execute the software. When you are done, shut the software down.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. What do you mean by "enable" the software? I use only a few programs of the Creative Cloud.

Some software is enable when a system turns on. You can disable software from startup by going into task manager. Then click on the startup tab. That will show you which programs launch when the system is turned on. You can disable the programs that you don't want to automatically execute.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. Am I correct that since today's systems are so fast, just installing more programs and thus more files in the disk won't slow down the search or other disc access operations?

It could slow down over time with an HDD as files become fragmented. Fragmentation occurs when a file is written in several different spots on a disk. So it takes the spinning disk a little longer to find each fragment of the file. Fragmenting your every once in a while will solve this issue. SSD's dont have spinning disk, so there is nothing to fragment.

Solution