Running a very low-demand server via mobile hotspot

Oct 17, 2018
I am trying to run a license server out of my home connection for some software. The setup requires that individuals from outside my network be able to communicate with my desktop machine to grab a license that will authenticate their software.

Unfortunately, I live in a building where the internet is provided through the building and split to each unit. So when I have attempted to open a port on my router to allow incoming connections for the license server, it doesn't work -- presumably because the building's router is not letting the connection through.

I am trying to set up a work-around with a cheap mobile hotspot. It's dedicated purpose would be to allow connections to the license server. This would happen only a few times per month, and the licenses don't take a lot of bandwidth, so I should be able to use a very cheap 1 gb/month mobile hotspot through one of the low-cost providers.

But I have also read that mobile hotspots can't be configured to open or forward ports, because the mobile network itself won't allow it. Is that right?

It's probably obvious I don't know much about network issues. Is there a more sensible way to set this up? I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible.

Just thinking outside the box.

Do you have any family members that could host this at their house that hopefully isn't in an apartment that shares internet; Grandma's House?

You could always setup remote desktop to control the server from your apartment.

AWS or amazon web server was gonna be my next choice.

I've never used AWS before but they do appear to have a free tier that may suit your needs.

https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Setting this up at Grandma's house does feel a bit easier, although both could be technically free.

Oct 17, 2018
derekullo, grandma's house (that made me laugh) with remote desktop enabled is a good idea.

From a logistical standpoint, AWS would be somewhat easier, but I am daunted by the prospect of setting it up there. I have used AWS for totally unrelated things in the past (running statistical computations on many cores) and found the documentation to be really unfriendly to novices like myself. Does anyone know of an AWS for dummies tutorial that is any good?