Windows 10 File system error (-2147219200)

Jul 18, 2018
Why am I getting File system error (-2147219200) in Windows 10 and how to do I fix it?

This error started happening a few days ago now. I tried asking about it on 10forums.com but didn't get anything very helpful and have been sidetracked with other problems since then. I get this error when I open certain file types, especially .mkv, .avi, .jpg, .png and probably others. Also, my Windows icon in the far left of the task bar stopped working about the same time as did the input box in Cortana and some pf the TSRs on the task bar, like the wireless icon. The calendar, keyboard language and show hidden icons still work though. I've run a full scan on the computer using MalwareBytes and it found absolutely nothing. I can still use the computer but I'd like to get all the functionality back.

Any ideas how I can get past this problem?

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if you can run this

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Jul 18, 2018

UPDATED AT BOTTOM!

Sorry for the long delay in replying; I've been side-tracked with other issues.

Among the icons on the task bar which don't work while this problem remains are the Windows icon; I can't right- or left-click it. The Windows button on my keyboard still works so I can get to a Run prompt. I can even get to Power Shell by typing "powershell" (minus the quotes) at the run prompt but this does NOT run Power Shell as an administrator; once started in non-administrator mode, I see no way to put it into administrator mode. I've watched a couple of different videos on getting into powershell-as-administrator mode but none of them mention ways to invoke it when the buttons I mentioned are broken. Hmmm...Success! I found a web tutorial that describes an approach that *does* work: I opened File Explorer and ran powershell as an administrator from there!

However, something odd is happening with this command. I tried it on another computer that is working normally and it indicates that it is running the verification stage and gives the progress via a printed message, which it updates regularly. However, the computer that has the file system error, has only printed the initial message - "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time." - but hasn't printed the "Beginning verification phase" message let alone reported progress for the verification phase.

I am quite concerned here. It looks like the problem, whatever it is, is blocking the SFC command from running in addition to the other things that aren't working right.

What should I do now?

UPDATE:
After several hours, the SFC command still hadn't started so I tried to end the command via CTRL-C. Rather than ending the command, this got the command to START! Hurray! It ran through to the end then reported the following:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example, C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are located in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

The CBS.log file is quite lengthy - 12 MB in size and 69,000 lines long! - with all entries dated between Oct 10 this year and today. Oct 10 may be when I first noticed the problem but I'm not positive of that. Should I copy and paste it in this thread (or attach it)? As you can imagine, there is a lot in there and I do not know how to read it very well.

Jul 18, 2018

Thanks for your reply, John, and thanks for explaining how to turn an integer error code into a hex code that I can actually look up! Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with the information you've found since I'm not sure which object has thee invalid identifier, nor do I know what to do to make it valid again.

The log that I mentioned has a bunch of messages in it, some of which look like they may be warnings or errors. Would it help if I posted the log file?

Jul 18, 2018

Thanks for your reply! I *am* on version 1803. I'll give this repair install a try later in the day; at the moment, I'm having a very productive day writing Java code and I don't want to lose my momentum :) I'll post back with the results of my repair install.

I tend to only debug problems related to the operating system and drivers. I am not much help on figuring out problems related to the apps that are running on the operating system. I would just point you to the windows event viewer in the hopes that the errors in the eventlog will point to a service that is having a problem.

TRENDING THREADS