Best display input, pc and nintendo switch on the same display

Oct 18, 2018
Hello TomsHardware.
First i want to know which is the best display input for 3840 x 2160 resolution on 144 hz
is it hdmi or displayport

Second i want to have a nintendo switch beside my pc, so they will work on the same monitor.
i was thinking what would happen if connect the pc through displayport and the nintendo switch through hdmi, and turn off one to use the other, is this safe, if it's not safe is there any other way to switch between the nintendo switch and the pc??

Thanks in advance.

Solution
It depends on the revision in the monitor.
DisplayPort 1.4 and 1.3 can go up to 4K 120Hz uncompressed, or 4K 144Hz DSC/4:2:2 compression. If your monitor has DisplayPort, it most likely is either 1.3 or 1.4
HDMI recently released 2.1, which can reach 4K 144Hz, but if the monitor is HDMI 2.0, then it is impossible to reach 4k 144Hz, and is throttled to 4K 60Hz.
Keep in mind that FreeSync and GSync will only work over DisplayPort.

Of course connecting two devices to a monitor is safe. It's just like a TV in terms of inputs, you just need to go into the monitor settings to change which input is being used/turn one off, and it should switch automatically.
Oct 18, 2018
It depends on the revision in the monitor.
DisplayPort 1.4 and 1.3 can go up to 4K 120Hz uncompressed, or 4K 144Hz DSC/4:2:2 compression. If your monitor has DisplayPort, it most likely is either 1.3 or 1.4
HDMI recently released 2.1, which can reach 4K 144Hz, but if the monitor is HDMI 2.0, then it is impossible to reach 4k 144Hz, and is throttled to 4K 60Hz.
Keep in mind that FreeSync and GSync will only work over DisplayPort.

Of course connecting two devices to a monitor is safe. It's just like a TV in terms of inputs, you just need to go into the monitor settings to change which input is being used/turn one off, and it should switch automatically.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS