Upgrading from a gtx 760

Oct 19, 2018
Hello, i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to these things so here it goes.

I'm thinking of selling my old gtx 760 and upgrading to a gtx 1050ti / 1060 or rx 580. Thing is i'm hesitant: is it as simple as unplugging my old card and replacing it with the new one, just connecting all the cables the exact same way?

Next, about my monitor, it only has a d sub (VGA) port, so no HDMI or DVI port. With that in mind, is it even worth upgrading without also buying a new monitor? (as i understand that by using the VGA port i'm already limiting my graphics quality and i only play at 1600 by 900 resolution)

I hope the questions are presented clearly. Any help would be appreciated.

System info:
Gtx 760 2gb
Intel i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz
8gb ram

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
upgrading the graphics card is as you say, disconnect cables from current one, unscrew it and remove from slot, then put the new one in and connect cables.

You should upgrade the monitor, the new cards dont even have analogue (VGA) outputs, so you would have to get an active adapter if you continued to use it. Worth going to a 1080p screen with HDMI/DP connections.

Oct 19, 2018

thank you so much for your input! if i may just ask one more thing i forgot initially: any thoughts on the CPU? it's old but it seems to be holding up... would it bottleneck newer cards?

Oct 19, 2018

Yes i have a 550W PSU so i think any NVIDIA mid range card would work, but i'm not sure about the RX series. It's one of the reasons i'm considering a 4gb 1050ti or the 6gb 1060. Truth is, i just want to be able to run Cyberpunk 2077 when it's released, i don't need to max out the graphics or anything. If the card does today what my GTX 760 did when i bought it 4 years ago, i'll be a happy man.

Oct 19, 2018
yes, it's a Raider RA550 (Silver certified). I've read that it should be just enough for the RX series, but maybe a bit on the lower end as far as power requirements go. It's this exact model i believe: http://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP161000093/