8 Cheap CPUs (Under $130) Tested & Ranked

Aug 1, 2018
The link for the 2200G is wrong, it leads to a bundle deal with a liquid cooler. The base CPU can still be found for $99 on Amazon

adamrcharles

Prominent
Oct 16, 2018
The pairing with a 1080 really makes no sense here. Most people looking at these processors in a new build will be using a 1050, 1050ti or picking up one of these good deals going around right now on an rx570. I think the review would better serve its target audience pointing out a Pentium/rx570 combo likely outperforms an i3/1050 combo in most situations for a slightly cheaper price.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
The 2200G has been $99 since launch and it's the replacement for the 1300X which is no longer in production. Since you want to include out of production chips you should also include the Ryzen 5 1400 ~$133, 1500X~ $144, 1600 $154 and the 2600 which goes on sale often for $149.

I think that's the best processor deal right now, so long as the system doesn't require integrated graphics and one is willing to stretch their budget a bit beyond this "under $130" range. Compared to any of these quad-cores, you get 50% more cores and SMT for far better performance at heavily multithreaded tasks, along with higher boost clocks and overclocking support on inexpensive motherboards. And while this $150 sale pricing may or may not be short-lived, the processor has been regularly available for around $160-$165 most of the time in recent months, and even that's a very good price compared to a $130 quad-core with fewer cores and all-around lower performance.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Also the Ryzen5 2400G is currently available at $150, making it a good option for budget with the cost of GPU included.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Agreed!

I saw a recent review with new games showing that 2 (fast) cores with HT do become increasingly obsolete and less useful compared to 4 (not so fast) cores.

The Pentiums and prior-gen i3s don't seem worth it right now, at least going by current US online pricing. Intel seems to have cut back production of their less profitable processors due to their current production issues, so prices have risen and availability has become scarce, and many of their CPUs that had been decent values some months back are now priced out of the market. A $90+ dual-core is just not worth considering when AMD's quad-core 1200 and 2200G are available for under $100. The Ryzen 1300X also seems a bit pointless to consider, when the 2200G provides nearly identical performance (especially after overclocking), along with the best integrated graphics in its class, for $30 less.

And that would be the better comparison to make, pairing a faster graphics card with a 2200G. The $30 saved over the i3-8100 (or around $20 saved if we spend a bit more on faster RAM to get the most out of Ryzen) would go long way toward moving up from a GTX 1050 to an RX 570, offering roughly double the graphics performance. The small performance difference between the 8100 and an overclocked 2200G will rarely make any notable impact to frame rates with the cards these CPUs are likely to be paired with in the near future, but doubling graphics performance absolutely will. And for that matter, the 1050 Ti is also arguably overpriced considering the much faster RX 570 currently costs about the same. The 1050 Ti is an alright option for someone upgrading a prebuilt system with a 300 watt PSU, but anyone building a new system will likely be going with at least a 450 watt PSU, where the increased power draw of the RX 570 shouldn't really matter.

Also, I really don't like the way these price comparisons are done. At least in the case of this roundup, differences in platform costs aren't as much of a concern, since all these chips include boxed coolers and can run on inexpensive motherboards, but the prices still have major problems, since you simply can't buy most of Intel's processors at MSRP right now. Some of them aren't even close. What's the point of a price-focused roundup when the prices that it's based on are out-of-date and inaccurate? All these charts and recommendations should be updated to current real-world pricing.