Best StoreMI configuration

slagbom

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
PC w/ Ryzen and B450 Mobo

I have a M.2 NVME drive, a 500gb SSD and a large HDD.

I want to try out tiered storage but keep reading on how many people had much better luck just using their OS than StoreMI but I figure if it's only game installs on the HDD and one of the SSDs then I lose nothing other than time if there's a problem since my OS is isolated on the other drive and my game saves are backed up.

The question is which drive is best for the tiered cache? I can think of reasons for arguing either case. If the NVME boot times really aren't important then I would pick that since it's already the max size (256gb) and makes sense as a cache device to me.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Insert Idiot comment about Optane not realising its an AMD Board and that what StoreMI is :) Oops. I really need to catch up on my AMD info... Sorry mate...

Did a little reading myself and found the following:

With StoreMI enabled, we were able to get 495MBps and 519.1MBps respectively - not quite as good as an SSD on its own, but a huge step up from a hard drive, without the inconvenience of having to reinstall Windows. With the FuzeRAM cache turned on, we got a staggering result of 4797.7MBps for sequential reads, but a middling 511.3MBps for sequential writes.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/reviews/amd-storemi-review-1878682