NEW Motherbord and CPU causing SSD failure? and PC slowdown

Thatnewguy78

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
The problem I'm facing today is that I recently got my hands on 2nd hand motherboard and CPU combination.

This was a great chance for me to upgrade from a micro ATX motherboard + i5 6400 combination to Full ATX and i5 6600, after installing the new hardware I did a refresh to not lose all my old files, after seeing some slight slowdown in general operation of windows I made the decision to do a fresh install where I ''upgraded '' to a OEM key from student edition.

With that I thought the problems would be solved, but they just seemed to start.
At the moment of writing I'm experiencing huge slowdown in my day to day operation to the point I have the wait up to a minute for simple task like clicking on a new youtube video, clicking the windows start button, streaming Netflix etc.

This continuous into the OS operation with lag when dragging the mouse over the desktop and programs giving the '' not responding '' sign, I also have been seeing the HDD activity light glow bright orange when the OS stops responding making me think I might be the SSD failure (the SSD was working fine before the new hardware got installed)

I have done the following things to fix the problem
* Reinstalled the whole OS
* Updated the BIOS
* checked for updates for all the important drivers (none where available)
* Did a C-mos reset
* Checking the SSD using Samsung Magician software

At this point I have no more clue what I can do, I have some basic PC knowledge building PC's and troubleshooting.
But I have never come across this problem and google can't be of any assistance any more then it has.

If you have any Ideas of what this could be please share your knowledge.

Solution
I have found my solution.

First I found and threat somewhere where I read that with the windows 10 creators (1803) update, in some cases IRT (Intel Rapid Storage Technologie) got uninstalled for no reason.

To fix this I reinstalled the software and the 100% spikes on my SSD where fixed, with this it also fixed most of the stuttering I was experiencing on the desktop.
With that one problem was still present, when I opened the Netflix website and played a video the player would lag my pc and mouse to the place where it was before the IRT fix, glad to say that as soon as the website was closed the PC would return to fixed status meaning no lag or slowdown.

To fix the Netflix problem I found a article suggesting it was something...

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show us a parts list of the PC?
what motherboard is it?

what scores you get off SSD? Does its SMART score show all okay? can upload screen shot to a image sharing web site and show link here.

have you tried in safe mode to see if you get same slow downs?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode with networking
PC will restart and load safe mode

that will tell us if its software cause or hardware. if it still happens, it is unlikely to be caused by drivers since they don't run in safe mode. If it has no lag, its possibly caused by startup programs conflicting. Or driver software.

log into desktop and follow these steps. Careful NOT to disable any Microsoft services or PC may not boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if that helps, its likely its a startup process at fault. slowly restart any services and programs (over a number of restarts) to isolate the problem app.

Thatnewguy78

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
PC Specs

Proccesor : i5 6600
Motherboard: Asrock fatality h170
PSU: 600W Power PSU ( pre-build)
GPU: GTX 970 mini (no namebrand)
HDD: Toshiba HDD 1TB
SSD: Sandisk SSD PLus 240 GB

SSD : Score ( I think this is what you mean )

https://i.imgur.com/D1hHGyK.png

Going to be doing the steps with safe mode to see if I can replicate the problem, thanks a bunch already hope I will get to fix it.

Thatnewguy78

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
I just tried the safe mode to duplicate the problem, tried a few things but none gave me any slowdown/lag.
So I think it is drivers or software, i'm going to try the startup programs/ driver now

Thatnewguy78

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Just disabled all the drivers using the System configuration, what i'm seeing is that the lag is noticeable less but the little dropped frames/ slowdown when viewing youtube is still visible.

For any further information drop a reply

Thatnewguy78

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Extra Info : Smart Score

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Chkdsk" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">26226</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-10-22T16:11:13.345688300Z" />
<EventRecordID>2585</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-93VCKFO</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Checking file system on C: Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 227840 file records processed. File verification completed. 10969 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 402 reparse records processed. 307332 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 402 reparse records processed. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Security descriptor verification completed. 39747 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 34693880 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 233420696 KB total disk space. 62744888 KB in 174018 files. 123964 KB in 39748 indexes. 340156 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 170211688 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 58355174 total allocation units on disk. 42552922 allocation units available on disk. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...</Data>
<Binary>007A03001043030096B40600000000008B000000070100000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Thatnewguy78

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Update:

I have installed Intel IRT and that seems to fix most of the mouse stutter in the desktop, also the SSD is not peaking at 100% load all the time.
With this semi solution the most annoying bits are maybe fixed ( need to see how long it will last) with that a new problem has appeared, when opening the Netflix website the mouse immediately starts lagging again and Netflix works very slow to the point that video streaming is at 7 FPS or something and that is unwatchable.

I'm going to try the tip I got from Colif and see what it does, thanks a bunch so far guys

Thatnewguy78

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
I have found my solution.

First I found and threat somewhere where I read that with the windows 10 creators (1803) update, in some cases IRT (Intel Rapid Storage Technologie) got uninstalled for no reason.

To fix this I reinstalled the software and the 100% spikes on my SSD where fixed, with this it also fixed most of the stuttering I was experiencing on the desktop.
With that one problem was still present, when I opened the Netflix website and played a video the player would lag my pc and mouse to the place where it was before the IRT fix, glad to say that as soon as the website was closed the PC would return to fixed status meaning no lag or slowdown.

To fix the Netflix problem I found a article suggesting it was something with my Nvidea GPU drivers and specifically the DPC latency, I googled this and found a very helpful video that gave me the information for the full fix.

In this video the guy said '' to fix the DPC latency I should check what is causing this'' this I could do using the software resplendence.
I installed this and saw that when using the Netflix website my DPC values would go to the roof going up to 1000 DPC causing a lot of lag and issues on the whole system.
His advice was to disable the drivers to check if it was the Nvidea drivers causing the problem, In my case this was the solution and as soon as I disable the drivers Netflix would play fine fixing all the problems I was experiencing.

I re-installed the necessary drivers to run the PC and not Geforce experience, HD audio etc what could have impact on the DPC values

It is also advised to uninstall all previous Nvidea drivers using DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller) which you need to execute in save mode for the best result un-installing the GPU drivers

Video for the fix : video
Software I used :
DPC checker
IRT
Nvidea latest driver
DDU

Big thanks to the video and all the members on Toms hardware for giving you input on my problem.

I hope that If someone is having the same troubles as me this thread will help them.

Solution