stuck on start up

Knightmare OO7

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Hi, I have an old HP pavilion DV7 from 2011 running Windows 7. One day, it kept getting stuck on the starting windows screen upon launch. I was able to get into safe mode however.
I tried the following:
I ran the native windows recovery tool a few times but it didn’t find anything.
I did multiple virus scans with Norton- nothing.
I ran multiple hard drive checks using the windows native repair tool, HP recovery tool, and a tool in the BIOS. All came back okay. I used all three tools for the memory test as well which came up clean.
I attempted to do system restore multiple times, I would get different errors (I didn’t run as an administrator, some file was broken, random other). However, even after getting an error message, when I would launch safe mode, I would get a notification that the system restore was successful.
I finally gave up, and had HP recovery tool format the hard drive and attempt to reinstall windows 7. But during the final part of the install when the computer restarted, same thing- stuck on loading windows screen. I attempted to load into safe mode, but I would get an error that I couldn’t complete the final part of windows 7 install in safe mode.

So I called a computer repair guy. He suggested I replace the hard drive (it’s the original one). I did that and installed Windows 10 without issue. I installed three programs (Chrome, Dashlane, Office 2010). I hadn’t complete the settings and Windows 10 decided to update itself and restart. Well, it got stuck start on a black screen on start up so I turned it off. Turning it back on, I was able to get past the initial start up, but got a bunch of errors trying to login into my account.
So I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10.

I restarted the computer immediately after the now second install and had no issues. I installed Chrome, Dashlane, Office 2010 and restarted the computer without issue. I then turned off my computer for the evening. The next day- stuck on a blank black screen during start up.

Anyway, I’m very lost on what the issue is. It seems like I keep getting stuck on the same error despite replacing the hard drive and having a clean install of windows. I think the middle error where I couldn’t log in was due to turning off the computer in middle of the update, but I’m starting to wonder if my stuck on start up error caused the update to lock up in the first place.

Anyway, seems odd that after the second install Windows 10, I was able to start the computer twice with no issues before the error came back.

I know it’s an old computer, so there isn’t much saving, but I’m trying to wait until Cyber Monday just a few weeks away to buy cheaper parts to build my own computer.

Oh, right before I got the error for the very first time, my battery in the laptop went completely out (it was around 25% capacity for last few years). I’ve been running it off just the A/C adapter since

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 10 uses a feature called Fast Startup. Instead of turning off when you shut PC down at night, it goes into a hybred hibernate mode where its sleeping. It saves a copy of all running drivers + a copy of kernel into ram so when you start PC next day it is already half loaded. This is meant to speed up old hdd but it also trips out old drivers not written for the feature. This shows how to turn it off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Have you tried hitting the restart button? Restart is in fact the only time a PC with fast startup enabled is off.

if its still stuick, try this
turn PC on, when it gets past the bios screen, turn it off again. DO that cycle 3 times and it should run automatic startup repair. It may or may not help, if it gets to end and says it can't help, choose advanced
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced (again)
choose startup repair - it will ask for login info and may fix this error.
If it does, turn off fast startup above.