Upgrade to the latest version

iceman_87

Reputable
Oct 22, 2018
after a virus attack (that encrypted all of my files) I had to format all whole PC good friend of mine did the whole job but forgot to tell me he's using an Enterprise edition. I've tried to upgrade form windows 10, 1607 to the latest version via Windows 10 Update Assistant but I'm getting a error message: "Contact your system administrator to upgrade windows server or enterprise editions".

My friend, giving excuses why to stay with that version (1607) and he's not willing to help me change that so I can do it by myself.

Can you please tell me how to do that without reformat my PC? I've tried to search the whole internet but I couldn't find any help..

Thanks!

Anthony

Solution
Only way forward is likely a fresh install as you can't downgrade windows versions. Backup anything on C you want to save now and start again.

Slap your friend for installing enterprise on your PC. Your PC already had a license for the previous install, he just wasting your time.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - that will likely get you 1803 but you can't use it to upgrade Enterprise

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Only way forward is likely a fresh install as you can't downgrade windows versions. Backup anything on C you want to save now and start again.

Slap your friend for installing enterprise on your PC. Your PC already had a license for the previous install, he just wasting your time.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - that will likely get you 1803 but you can't use it to upgrade Enterprise

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

it only takes 30 minutes, I did it yesterday on my PC.

Solution