Transfer Windows 10 to new PC

Oct 22, 2018
I am going to build a new PC. My current PC was purchased prebuilt with Windows 8 which I upgraded to Windows 10 so I have no licence key.

I dont want to transfer any other files from my old computer and I dont want to keep my current HDD where Windows is installed. Neither do I wish to purchase a cheap license from some suspicious website like G2deal or Kinguin.

Is there anyway I can transfer Windows 10 to an SSD in my new system?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Nov 9, 2018

Sorry, I know this is a late reply to this post, but I just read all of those links, and ended up contacting a Microsoft associate, and was told adamantly that because I had an OEM version of Windows 8 and had a free upgrade to 10 (exactly the same conditions as this OP had), that I absolutely cannot transfer my copy... soooo, what's the deal here? Is it possible or not? According to Microsoft, it's definitely "no"

USAFRet

Titan

That particular rep is actually 100% wrong.
I came across this exact same issue here a few months ago.
Person called MS.
MS rep said no, text from the MS website says yes.
It wasn't until 2 levels of supervisor actually read their text did they realize their mistake.

Often, the actual info does not filter down to the front line help desk tech.

It works
I've personally done it.
Hundreds of other members here have also done it.

The licensing rules for this changed with the August 2016 release, v1607.
Previous to that, the MS rep was correct. After that...he's running on old info.

Solution
Nov 9, 2018

All right, if you say it works, then I'll invest the energy and try it. I just don't want to risk losing my OS on my old PC in the process of failing to transfer it. If there's no risk, I've got no problem trying it.

(I had no idea that this would, by far, be the most difficult thing about building a PC for the first time. Wow).

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS