How do I install windows on a SSD on a Windows system (that the SSD is already installed in)

djalekks

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
After I was unsuccesful with installing WIndows on my non RAID SSD (the partition wasn't formatted right, but no matter what I formatted to, in either MBR or GPT it didn't want to install.) I was decided to install it on my RAID0 array, which I was hoping to avoid. Now my windows boots up slower than before, but it's not even that. I just want to find the best solution so that I can boot of my SDD and keep my RAID array intact. Secondary question, if I do pull this off, is that the smartest way? I'm talking for video editing here. Have a boot drive with the editing programs, and then a raid array just for the footage, and then have a backup in external hdds.

Cheers,
If this makes sense to you and you can help me I'd straight up take you out for dinner or something.

djalekks

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013

Motherboard RAID. The 500GB is empty, formatted it. The array has Windows and some of the video material. I want only the video material on there, and I want the SSD to be the boot drive, with WIndows on it, and the editing programs.

USAFRet

Titan
I would move any of your videos OFF that RAID to some other drive.

Do a clean install on the SSD, with only the SSD connected.
Install your applications on the SSD as well.
Then, reconnect the HDD's, and see if the RAID survives.
If it does, great. If not, rebuild it.
Then, copy your videos back onto that working array.

TRENDING THREADS