Encoding of choice for DVD rips?

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I have a decently sized DVD collection that I'd like to shrink down by digitizing them. I have a 4TB raid (or 8, honestly I forget). What I've been struggling with is choosing the best codec to use. Since VLC can chromecast to my TV, compatibility isn't a huge issue for me. Though it would be nice if the format is supported in HTML5 as I've built my own custom netflix-style intranet site, it's not a hard requirement for me anymore.

If it matters, none of DVDs are 4k and the majority of them are standard DVD with only about a dozen bluerays. I have a collection of HD-DVDs, but not the hardware necessary to access them on a PC.

I also plan to keep the videos in their native resolution and not resize them. Filesize, I think I'd like to keep them no more than 2-3GB each. So what's my best options these days?

I am not sure if we are allowed to give the name of dvd rippers.

The basic procedure is use "Decryptor Program" to decrypt the dvd and write this to your hard drive as either TS video stream or ISO.

You can then use Handbrake to convert that decrypted file into a mkv or mp4.

The first step will be slow due to needing to physically read the entire disc from dvd.

The second part goes a lot faster if you use Intel QuickSync, i can do 300 frames rendered per second with an i5-4590

For some perspective;

A 110 minute movie consists of 110 minutes x 60 seconds in a minute x 24 frames per second = 158,400 frames

At 300 frames rendered per second it comes down to 158,400 / 300 = 528 seconds or 8.8 minutes to turn the movie from a TS / ISO to an mkv/mp4.

The first part of actually writing the dvd to the hard drive takes about 40 minutes.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
The legality of ripping your own movies varies by country. Here in NZ it's tecnically illegal but I believe in the US format shifting is allowed which is why commerically availabe software is able to be sold. Pays to check for yourself though, I certainly am no expert on the law in other countries.

Anyway personally I recommend MP4 as a good choice with decent compression and wide compatibilty with players.
I paid for DVDFABs DVD and Blu-ray ripper modules (have no need for the full suite) and use them to rip directly to the PS3 profile even though I don't have a PS3 as it gives good results and ok file ssizes. My Blu Rays typically end up about 4GB but I haven't tried a DVD in a very long time.

I paid for the software because I got sick of the multi step process of other methods and prefer an easy 1 step rip direct to MP4, there may be better options that's just the one I use.

It is possible for handbrake to be a 1 step process if you insert a certain file into the handbrake directory.

Handbrake only works on dvds and cd's for its 1 step process, to my knowledge.

But you are still limited by the speed of the dvd drive meaning you would be able to copy a dvd no faster than 1 dvd every 40 minutes, the same speed it takes to decrypt and copy to the hard drive.

Please note that any hardware encoder will give a softer image at any given bitrate than the software encoders. Tradeoffs of speed vs efficiency for 2 pass work.

X264 does give better results I find for video when using an interlaced source, esp if you keep the video as interlaced. X265 does take longer, and really shines when doing non-interlaced video. 10-bit encoding can help save on filespace as well or give a better image for the same filesize, but fewer programs handle that smoothly.

You'll need to decrypt the video of course before you can re-encode it.

Some Freeware options: they are all pretty much GUIs for the command line
Mediacoder:
http://www.mediacoderhq.com/

Handbrake:
https://handbrake.fr/

StaxRip
https://www.videohelp.com/software/StaxRip

Hybrid:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Hybrid

Xvid4PSP
https://www.videohelp.com/software/XviD4PSP

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I think the first few responses missed my question. I'm well aware of how to rip a dvd and decrypt it. My question is about what format to compress the video into. Like H.264. I think Cherry Blossoms might have answered it though. With 265 still being somewhat new, I wasn't sure the big differences with it over 264 or how compatible it was with current software. Last time I ripped a DVD I think DivX was the common choice.

After some googling as well, it seems like 264 is really the current modern choice these days.

Just of further note phaelax:

Also choose your container format wisely. MKV is the most versatile, and you can shove almost anything into it, but MP4 is understood by more devices.

With either h/x264 and h/x265, if you are seeking a specific target size, that is easier to see with a constant bitrate factor, but bits will be wasted on scenes with not much going on. With Variable bitrate or constant quality, more bits get assigned to more complex scenes, but less control over final size, though you can make rough estimates. Again., 2 pass is recommended for that. Also, if encoding interlaced to interlaced, don't forget to set your -tff or -bff flags as appropriate for interlaced DVDs or interlaced/MBAFF encoded blurays.

Ahh my bad.

If the question is which codec to use then the answer would be the latest, most advanced codec that still supports the hardware you wish to play it on.

If you wish to play it on a 2010 "smart" tv than you would probably be limited to mp4 or avi.

If you wish to play it on a fully updated VLC and Windows 10 then you would go with h.265 and mkv.

H.265 having the highest quality, smallest file size files and mkv having the most versatile list of features
(Click the links at the bottom for more information on mkv and h.265)

The "h.265 Intel QSV" if offered by handbrake is the super fast Intel QuickSync encoder I mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately it doesn't support 2-pass encoding which allows you do save on space by reducing quality in scenes that aren't complex meaning you want to use the h.265(x265), h.265 10 bit(x265) or h.265 12 bit(x265)

During the 1st pass, statistics about the video are collected. Then in the second pass, those statistics are used to make bit-rate allocation decisions. (Copy pasted from handbrake)

For example if the credits are just words against a black background the black background would be encoded at lower quality due to the quality not being needed.

h.265 10 bit and 12 bit or available if you happen to find a dvd that is encoded with that color depth and you wish to preserve all those colors. (I dont recall seeing any dvds with 10 bit or 12 bit, but i could be wrong)

Having said all that, in all honesty, I rarely use the avg bitrate dual pass method due to the extra time it takes.

I most always just set it to h.265 Intel QSV and Constant Quality 18 and just have it do it because saving 10% in file size isn't crucial to me.

Feel free to try both methods.

Here are some articles i found on x265 versus x264 and mp4 versus mkv.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-x265-x264-video-coding-Which-is-advantageous
https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-choose-between-MP4-or-MKV-format

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I have a newer smart tv with built-in chromecast, and bought a 4k chromecast for my bedroom tv. VLC has been able to cast to both almost with 0 issues. (occationally it doesn't find one of the TVs) So as long as it plays in VLC I'm ok.

Thanks for the links, I wondered about which container. I figured I'd use MP4 because I've had issues using MKV in the past. (probably 10 years ago) I don't think quicktime is used much anymore is it? None of my DVDs are 4k, but several do have subtitles. And I'd like to keep them as subtitles rather than bake the text into the video.

(I dont recall seeing any dvds with 10 bit or 12 bit, but i could be wrong
I think you're right. I have a few "superbit" DVDs, but even those I don't think reach 10 bit. On another forum someone says the 10bit encoding is more efficient in compression, regardless of whether the content is 10 bit or not.

Sounds like I'll be using either 264 or 265 with MKV
I think I might encode a movie multiple times with different settings and determine the best route. I have a 7700k and 32GB ram so hopefully it's not too slow. Then I'll just decrypt a bunch of discs and have a script run the encoder for me while I sleep.

I like MKV because it can do subtitles correctly. when I rip my Bluray movies I use that (handbrake) to encode it so the subs work properly on VLC and other "good" media players. Windows 10 player stinks and needs externals, however, once my MKVs are made, there are free tools to extract the SRT external subtitles. Plus, my MKVs tend to be smaller and playback online better on OneDrive. 45GB movie iso down to 4.5GB in MKV (1080p/30fps) with proper audio channels (all languages, very high fidelity audio) and subtitles.,

whenever i get a new dvd or bd, i just rip it, package it and watch it using vlc from my phone to the apple tv. works great too. or i just watch it when i want from any device--apple tv (if network sharing), phone, iPad, PC, whatever.

if you have a good intel cpu and an nvidia, your packaging should be quite fast.