Mouse not functioning after Windows Setup

Werepig

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
I have just finished a computer build for a friend of mine and I have run into a rather annoying issue. His mouse will not work whatsoever on any program. I shows up, it functions on the desktop, but as soon as he opens a program it "unfocuses" the program, making it go that light gray that makes it unresponsive, but no clicks work. We have tried a fresh reinstall of Windows, we have reinstalled all of the drivers, but to no avail. One thing that has worked is when we turn off all Microsoft Services, however even when doing so, it only works some of the time. When it does work, the mouse is slow and extremely unresponsive. I believe it may be a combination of hardware and software issues but when he tried it with a mouse that was confirmed to work, he had the same issues.

Did you do a fresh install of Windows? If not then do so.

You may need to update the motherboard BIOS, particularly if it is a Ryzen processor.

Apart from that, you can download the driver for the mouse from the mouse manufacturer. Most are pretty much plug and play, but not all of them (especially wireless ones).

Werepig

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
It is a new windows install but I will try updating the BIOS since it is ryzen and checking for drivers on Asus website even though it is wired. Also all parts are brand new.