BSOD caused (supposedly) by FilterManager loading npsvctrig

Oct 27, 2018
Hi

my system's language is german, I hope that´s OK for reading the dump file!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I didn´t change any of the hardware of this PC.

I´ve been having sporadic BSODs for a while, those started at the end of September, exactly on the same day of a certain Windows update and cumulative update -> KB4100347 and KB4464218

It happened 3 times since then, those dates are mentioned in the event manager, critical section:
25.9.18 22:03:10
4.10.18 21:47:14
26.10.18 15:28:08

The first two times I ran a demanding program, but the last time I didn´t, was surfing the internet as always.

Every single time when this happened FilterManager was loading npsvctrig. In event manager I checked the event before the crash, it was the same every single time.

What I already did:
memtest
chkdsk
-> All good

driver update check from HP (PC builder) -> new BIOS and motherboard drivers are available, but can I just install them over the Windows provided ones? Windows auto installed the drivers when I bought the PC 2 years ago.

Also did the filter check:

WDFilter 8 328010 0
storqosflt 0 244000 0
wcifs 1 189900 0
CldFlt 0 180451 0
FileCrypt 0 141100 0
luafv 1 135000 0
npsvctrig 1 46000 0
Wof 6 40700 0
FileInfo 8 40500 0

Here´s the mini dump file from the last crash:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15hd1r91XTrGPvTklciDAN2hsY19gj-1w/view

Oh right, not sure if needed but here is some more data:

Windows 10 64-bit Home
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
HP Pavilion Desktop PC 560-p1xx
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 MHz, 4 cores, 8 logic processors
NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB
16GB RAM
BIOS-Version/-Date AMI F.04, 19.12.2016

Thanks for your help!

stack over flow with this driver.

\SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhdci.inf_amd64_fe8625f6dae9e074\nvlddmkm.sys Mon Oct 1 22:26:43 2018

it does not match your other nvidia drivers dated
Tue Jun 26 01:22:26 2018

If you use displayport connection. I would google "nvidia gpu firmware update utility" and see if there is a firmware update for your GPU. it might make the driver work correctly.

if that fails, I would do a clean install of the gpu and the gpu sound drivers from nvidia.

I think the new one must have come from windows update. if the firmware update does not help,
I would remove it from the driver store,
google "how to remove a driver from the driverstore using pnputil.exe" (so windows plug and play does not reinstall the driver right after you uninstall it)

and do a full install of the drivers from nvidia.

Oct 27, 2018
Hm. The out dated nvidia drivers from june are fairly odd, because I always do full clean install via nvidia experience and never had bsods before. Do you have some idea about this? Also, i think my pc uses hdmi to dvi. I don‘t know how to check... And what do you mean with „the new one must have come with windows update?“ never got nvidia drivers this way as far as I can remember... worth checking out though. Had a bsod again just now, this time the pc failed to auto reboot. Don’t worry, Windows is still starting normally, I’m just not in the right mindset to battle through more bsods while this tired -> I will attempt your suggestions tommorow. Also some more input how to check for display port and how to perfectly reinstall nvidia drivers without geforce would be awesome! (Bad formatting due to mobile phone.)

sure, windows update pushes out only the base driver update and does not update the others.
when when you run a nvidia update it doe the install of all of the driver but when you reboot the hidden driver store detects that one of the protected drivers has been changed. then the windows driver store copies the protected driver back over the top of the modified driver. the file path is different:
\SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhdci.inf_amd64_fe8625f6dae9e074\nvlddmkm.sys Mon Oct 1 22:26:43 2018
see the driverstore in the file path.
I would try to uninstall this update from windows update or remove the file from the driverstore using the pnputil.exe
or disable windows plug and play, then try to remove the driver and install the nvidia version of the drivers. then turn on windows plug and play. reboot and run
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
look at the driver entries and see where the nvidia drivers are being installed from to see if it remains fixed.
also some nvidia driver need a firmware update for displayport changes.

Oct 27, 2018
Got it. Didn´t attempt anything yet but got 1-2 questions!

1) I did my research and it seems the nvidia firmware update is like flashing a bios but on the gpu instead. is this really OK doing while in danger of random bsods happening? it could kill my graphic card. is it possible to do so while in safe mode and with the driver disabled via device manager?

2) I´m considering just letting windows 10 upkeep my nvidia drivers because I´m sure this kind of thing will happen again. driver update is deactivated on my pc, this graphic driver overwrite must have come with the usual windows update of 25/09/18. Bad idea?

3) what is your stance on ddu? considering using ddu to remove all of the drivers, then either letting windows 10 install or returning to the 399.07 driver (last version that worked fine).