What is better? Building a PC or getting a pre-built?

Oct 28, 2018
I currently have a pre-built but I always wanted to build my own. I was wondering if it's better though to stick to the pre-builds since they are more reliable since they are in the hands of an expert. But I'm not really inexperienced with putting components into my computer. I have installed my power supplies and an HDD Drive. But let me see your guy's opinions on this topic.

Solution

I think they charge more than they are worth. True, you get to choose the components(from a limited selection), but you pay their prices(you may find the same component at a lower price). Also, any other savings are eaten up by their assembly price.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
This is a site for PC enthusiasts, so I'm not sure if you're going to get the most neutral replies.

I wouldn't say pre-builts are more reliable. In many cases they're likely assembled as cheaply as possible, and might cut corners with certain components (e.g. the power supply). Probably the biggest advantage they might have in that regard is that I think you have a single entity to contact for support, rather than each individual component manufacturer for a machine you built yourself.

It's often cheaper to build you own (although not always, especially at the low end). But you get to choose exactly what goes into it. PC building isn't very hard, and there are lots of guides out there.

It really depends on your price point. The more you are willing to spend, the more you can save by building your own. Due to the economies of scale, it is almost impossible to compete with pre-builts like Dell or HP on the low end of the spectrum. They buy in bulk so their per unit costs go way down. The other main advantage of a Pre-built is its easy to use warranty: You don't have to trouble shoot any problems, just send it to them to fix(at least for the length of the warranty)! The down side of that is that you don't learn anything about the way your PC is put together, and therefore less likely to be able to fix it yourself (after the warranty expires).
Where the build-your-own computers shine is in their upgradeability. all of the components of a Prebuilts are are selected to work with just those components, therefore adding a more powerful graphics card or CPU may not be possible without also upgrading the PSU or cooling.

TJ Hooker pretty much covered it. IMO, it kind of depends on your personality. Your first time through you will need a lot of patience and pay close attention to detail. Don't get in a hurry. Any time you have a question get an answer you understand before continuing. If you get frustrated, sleep on it.

If you don't have those qualities, get a pre-built. That's simple. Plug it in and connect the cables and if it doesn't work, return it.

On a self built you will need to do the debugging yourself.

I like building them because I can spend my money where I want to (CPU vs APU, GPU, SSD vs HDD, PSU, etc) rather than just take what someone else decided I needed. The other side of that is since I picked the parts I know what I'm getting.

The one thing you do NOT want to do is use a cheap PSU. Everything in the box depends on clean, stable power so don't skimp on your PSU.

Oct 28, 2018
What is your guy's opinion on sites like CyberPower PC? I get to pick what goes in it it's just I'm not building it. I'm 100% confident I'm able to build one I just want the most reliable option so I can get the best quality of what I paid for.

I think they charge more than they are worth. True, you get to choose the components(from a limited selection), but you pay their prices(you may find the same component at a lower price). Also, any other savings are eaten up by their assembly price.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

If you want, I can list a bunch of threads here where CyberpowerPC was absolutely abysmal.

Poor build quality
Overpriced
Terrible warranty service
etc, etc, etc...

USAFRet

Titan
Last year there was a guy here wondering about a CyberpowerPC.
Reasonably mid-high end parts.
$2400.

We went through the entire parts list, including mouse, kbd, OS.
$1800 delivered to your door.

$600 for them to assemble, and give you a crappier warranty.

TRENDING THREADS