Extremely hot CPU Kaveri

Oct 31, 2018
I have a AMD A10-7800 which is a 2014 cpu. It is a Kaveri 28nm cpu that runs a Quad-Core 3.4-3.8GHz on my PC. It is not overclocked yet, but the tempertures vary from 70 idle, to 95 under load (just videos so about 70%) The normal temps that it should be on this clock speed is around 70 at 3.8 100% usage according to the AMD website. Since this was a prebuilt PC acer* says it should be around 65. It came with a stock Cooler Master Cpu cooler, it goes from 1400-1600 rpm and I cant give it voltage on bios.

Install and run AMD Overdrive. Go to the thermal margin section on the left of the menu lists. Look at the thermal margin readings for all the cores there and see what the general values are when idling. This thermal margin should drop as you use more CPU, so larger values are better. It's the difference between your temps and the maximum temps.

The BIOS give odd readings to temperature reporting tools for some AMD CPUs. When idling my thermal margins are at 70c, indicating that the CPU has plenty of room to get hot. Once the thermal margin is reduced to zero, the CPU will throttle.

As the above posters have said utilize AMD Overdrive to see what your true temperatures are. The margins are too high to just be an inaccurate temp reading though, I have worked with many AMD processors and usually you get a 5-10 degree difference between Overdrive and other utilities. For an APU those temps are just really high. First step is to see what the temp reading in Overdrive truly are, but being a 4 year old pre-built system your high temperatures are most likely due to in a smaller degree inadequate case cooling (add more case fans) or more likely old thermal paste that is no longer doing its job. You will have to take your heat sink off and reapply a good quality thermal paste. Thermal paste isn't hard to find online and if you live near a MicroCenter its pretty cheap. You want to remove your heat sink by first unfastening the mount then gently twist the cooler. After its off clean the heat sink and processor with rubbing alcohol to remove all old thermal paste. Next apply a pea sized spot of new thermal paste to the center of the processor and use an old credit card to gently spread a thin layer over the entire processor. Lastly just reinstall the cooler and refasten it. There are many videos online that show how to reapply the thermal paste.

Oct 31, 2018
Thank you very much. When I checked with overdrive i had temps of 42 C, I did not know it worked this way for some bios.