Rate/Better My Build

May 23, 2018
Hi there,

So i'm building a new pc and I just wanted to be sure all my components are compatible and that the total build will be without flaws.

The build:
CPU: i7 8700K (tray)
GPU: Gigabyte 1070 Ti Gaming 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB @2666
Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
PSU: SEASONIC FOCUS PLUS GOLD 550W
HDD: Toshiba P300 3TB
SSD: Corsair MP300 M.2 120GB
CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro H60(2018) or maybe if better Hydro H100x
Case: NZXT S340 Elite
(Should be noted: it's a white rgb build so where possible the components should be either black or white)

Accessoires: Corsair Lighting Node Pro Expansion Kit, Corsair LL120 RGB 3 PACK

I'm going to be using this pc for mostly gaming and the occasional edit or blender 3d modeling. I just had a few questions:
Is the CPU cooler good enough for a (maybe future OCed) generally cool pc? Because I read that the i7 does run hot.
And also, is there any part that I could improve in with this build? If there's anything which you would find odd, please mention it!
If it's possible, I would like my build to be at least a little quiet, but I do want to keep the rgb fans so is there any other way to soundproof it?

Thanks in advance!

Your build will work, but I have some thoughts:

1. i7-8700K is a great processor, but for gaming, perhaps you can do better if your objective is just for gaming.
The new 9th gen intel processors with soldered heat spreaders are going to run cooler.
The i7-9700K will outperform the 8700K in games. Price should be similar to the 8700K.
The i5-9600K will cost less and the 6 cores should be more than enough for games.
All of the K suffix processors should oc to 5.0 or close to it.
The 9th gen processors will oc easier.
Prices and availability may be an issue if you need to buy quickly.
You selected a Z390 motherboard which is good for either 8/9th gen.

2. GTX1070ti is very appropriate.
I might consider the evga version which offers a free 90 day trade up option if you should decide you want something stronger.

3. I assume that is a 2 x 8gb kit.
The tall heat spreaders may cause a problem with some coolers, but that is one of the prices you pay for rgb "bling"

4. Love the Seasonic focus power supplies. 550w is sufficient for even a GTX1080.
I might go with the 650w unit to be able to handle GTX1080ti/rtx... in the future.

5. NZXT S340 is a fine case.
It allows two 120/140mm front intake fans.
For quiet and better airflow, install 140mm fans.
the case allows 161mm for a good air cooler.
A black/white cooler is a bit hard to come by.
The Phanteks PH-TC14s and dark rock pro are black and will fit.

The very best cooler will be the noctua NH-D15s.
The s suffix is a high compatibility cooler which will clear tall ram and is offset to clear graphics cards.
Some dismiss the cooler because of the beige fan which is sandwiched in between the cooling towers.
There is a noctua chromax rgb fan replacement available for the cooler.
I would avoid liquid coolers which will be no more effective in cooling and are be noisier.

6. 120gb is simply too small for a windows C drive these days. Look for 240gb or larger.
I like Samsung evo.

7. I do not know about Toshiba 3tb units or the quality thereof. WD or hitachi are considered as better.
An interesting option available to you with that motherboard is optane ram.
You can buy a 32gb optane ram module for $42.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167427
This will act as a cache for your hard drive, greatly increasing performance.

May 23, 2018

Okay, thanks for all the help,
I now chose the corair mp300 240gb version, which should be enough. I also have the 650W psu now.
I looked into the intel optane but I dont think ill be using them so maybe in a fututre upgrade. For the fans ill just use the corsair ll120s and the ram sticks should be fine, becuase im using an AIO. And im still rocking the p300 for storage, should be fine, besides I dont like WD, dont have good experience with them.
Thanks for the help!

The build is excellent putting the 8700K on the Z390 MSI edge motherboard. The 8700K would also be the better bet as it overclocks extremely well with most hitting 5GHz and it is just a tad better overall than the 9700K and just fractions of the 9900K which to be honest is just absurdly priced at the moment.

As to the cooling options, I would definitely go the 240mm AIO route or even better the 280mm AIO route. The Corsair H100X is cheap but the H100i Pro is a little better and will be also okay though there are cheaper options on the 240mm AIO side. The COOLER MASTER MASTERLIQUID 240 AIO is very, very cost efective and maybe even less the the H100x.

Finally, I would try and increase the size of the SSD to 240 as they are also very cheap at the moment...

May 23, 2018

Thank you for the response,
I decided to go for the corsair mp300 240gb, and I now also have the H100i Pro RGB.

Yep, same happens to me around every 3 years and then I have to start hiding receipts from the wife!!!!