144hz setting is on but still 60hz

Valentin Yuksel

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Hello everyone

I have just bought a new monitor to replace my old 120hz one. I ve bought an Asus VG248QE and plugged it in. Set the monitor refresh rate to 144hz but the whole thing still feels like 60hz. I am sure that it is on 60HZ because I have a lot of experience with high refresh rate monitors and this feels very clunky. My old BenQ monitor worked on 120 very nicely but had some backlighting problems.

Thing i've tried:

-Reinstalled AMD RX 580 drivers a few times with DDU
-installed old Windows 8 Vg248qe driver
-kept changing the refresh rates between 60 and 144 and it was still the same.
-created new resolution on the driver 1920x1080p @ 144Hz
-reset the monitor from OSD settings
-changed the DVI cable (old one from BenQ monitor with new one from ASUS)
-changed power cable
-restarted the PC
-uninstalled the old nvidia drivers i still had on the PC before changing to RX580.
-Using CRU to set to 144hz.

The UFO test showed 144hz, However i was able to see that it still wasnt 144Hz in CSGO, BO4, and Home screen.
I havent tried the monitor on another PC as i only have a laptop.

Also i saw a lot of people having almost the same issue with me on the same monitor. So there must be a setting somewhere od the monitor has problems.

I have no idea what to do next, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Go to the Windows Display page, and then to the Display Adapter Properties. And then select the Monitor tab. That is where you set the refresh rates. If you have multiple monitors, then you have to select one with the highest refresh rates as the primary monitor. If you don't then the secondary monitor may not have the higher refresh rates as an option.

Valentin Yuksel

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Im only using one monitor, and it is set as 144hz there, but it still runs like on 60hz.

Valentin Yuksel

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

As i wrote i am using the cable the monitor came with. Im pretty sure it is a dual link dvi as my old monitor worked on 120hz with it.

Another possibility is that the monitor needs to be reset. You can do this by removing the monitor cable and power cord for a few minutes.

Plus since it is new, there is the possibility that the monitor is defective. If you have't resolved the issue before the end of return period for your retailer. Get a RMA and return the monitor for a new one.

Valentin Yuksel

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Yup. I think the monitor might be a bad one. Ive reset it and nothing, tomorrow i will take it back.