ASUS PA238Q no signal

Nov 5, 2018
So I use an Asus PA238Q as a 2nd monitor, and yesterday as I started up my PC, it flickered briefly after I entered W10 password and it never turned on... just went straight back into standby mode.

It usually detects the input and swaps to it automatically as I understand it... so as the PC was on:

- Tried changing the DP cable for an HDMI one... no bueno.
- Tried plugging in a blu-ray player via HDMI too, no bueno.
- While in standby mode (via DP cable), the standby light indicates white so it thinks there is a signal, but the actual panel is off (deep black)

Windows it detecting it as a second monitor, its assigned in the W10 'Display Settings' menu, but no picture!

Never had a monitor problem like this, does anyone have any ideas I can try before I resort to taking it to an electronics repair expert for diagnosis?

Specs:
CPU: i7-8086k
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E
Ram: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB (4x8gb) DDR4-3200
SSD/HDD: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GPU: Asus Nvidia 1070Ti
PSU: be quiet! - DARK POWER PRO 11 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Chassis: be quiet Silent Base 800

Lutfij

Titan
Can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Can you see if uninstalling and reinstalling your GPU drivers alleviates the issue? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

Nov 5, 2018
Thanks for your suggestions

- I just tried turning off and unplugging for a few mins - then replug and start - no bueno
- Tried connecting the monitor to the HDMI of a standalone blu-ray player - no bueno
- Tried a clean install of latest nvidia drivers - no bueno (no nvidia driver update prior to breakdown, so I'm thinking its not this)
- Running the latest motherboard BIOS (no updates near the time of breakdown)

Additionally, I press the change input button but I can't even get the menu system up on the monitor, so do you think its a broken panel?

Nov 5, 2018

Monitor bios? I don't know how to do that.
I can't get the panel to even turn on with any button presses on the monitor itself

Nov 5, 2018

yes I can get in to the motherboard bios as I am using the failed monitor as a secondary screen

I see no splash screens at all on the monitor, the panel is black as if its not "on", the the standby LED is white as if its receiving a signal

Nov 5, 2018

Oh I know there's nothing wrong with the computer - I know that much. I was hoping there might be an asus monitor tech guru lurking and ready to drop an amazing hint or button combo that I can try before throwing it away.

its not all bad though, as the height / pivot / swivel stand it comes with is still better than most stands today, so I've detached it and ready to use it on another monitor :)

Nov 5, 2018

The monitor? Early 2012, so its out of warranty, and its outside of the UK 6 year electronics consumer protection law :(
I guess I've used it pretty intensively, but I would have expected it to last a little longer