Monitor with high refresh rate and adapter?

matiasonline

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018
Hello guys, im planning to buy a new monitor, the thing is i have a R9 280X and im using a vga Adapter to the DVI port that supports the VGA Adapter. My question is, can i still get the 120Hz the monitor provides if i connect to the DVI via an adapter? it will be like this, one adapter to the graphics card and the other one to the monitor. Will that work to get the 120Hz?

Solution
Without knowing what you actually have & want, it's tough to answer.

If you're buying a 120Hz DVI-DL monitor, then use the DVI-DL from the GPU to drive it.
If you have an older monitor, (that's either VGA or DVI?), use the DVI-I port of the GPU. either DVI-I to DVI-I, or DVI-I to VGA with a passive adapter.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking..... but what I think I'm reading is unnecessarily complicated?

If you're adding adapters at either end, why wouldn't you just run a native cable?

For 1080p 120Hz, you *should* be able to achieve that with either/&/or HDMI, DisplayPort or DVI-DL (280X's should have all) -- At the very least, DisplayPort and DVI-DL.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I think SL will be limited to 1080p/60Hz, but not 100% sure on that.

Ultimately, if you're buying a new monitor, why wouldn't you just buy one with DisplayPort or HDMI for 120Hz without adapters?
I can't think of too many 120Hz monitors that don't have DisplayPort (although DVI-DL only monitors exist, absolutely).

matiasonline

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018

Well i got a good deal with a monitor that only has DVI and VGA, so ill try to buy this, its in offer compared to ther monitors, i have enough money to buy this one but not one that has all those features

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Without knowing what you actually have & want, it's tough to answer.

If you're buying a 120Hz DVI-DL monitor, then use the DVI-DL from the GPU to drive it.
If you have an older monitor, (that's either VGA or DVI?), use the DVI-I port of the GPU. either DVI-I to DVI-I, or DVI-I to VGA with a passive adapter.

Solution

matiasonline

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018

Well to give you more information, i have an old LG Flatron monitor that currently uses the DVI with the VGA adapter, and this monitor is what its called "no one knows what brand it is but will pay to put our name on it", Bangho, and well its a monitor as i told you VGA and DVI, 120hz and 2560x1600, i cant find the actual page for the monitor but here it is the "model" EL2080WE

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
So if your current monitor uses DVI to VGA, it's using the DVI-I port of the GPU.

The DVI-D DualLink port you need to run 120Hz on your new monitor, is still available. Just ensure you're running a Dual Link cable (thicker), for 120Hz.