Black Screen with white dot circle, circle goes away 5 seconds later

Michael332

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
Earlier today I had an "Attempted write in readonly memory" BSOD. I didnt think much of it because I get blue screens 3-4 times a month it seems like.
After booting my computer again, I woud see the windows logo with a white dot circle at the bottom. Then the screen would change to a black screen with just the dots (No windows logo), 5 seconds later the dots would go away and its just a black screen.
When this happens, the only way to get to a troubleshooter is to shutdown the computer 3 times while booting up so windows uses the startup repair tool.
The repair tool will never find anything wrong, but then I can go into the troubleshooter.

What I have attempted to do:
Reseat the ram and use a different slot
Trying to use a restore point will fail every time (error 0x80070003)
Bios settings were all reset
Trying to boot into any form of safe mode will just do the same thing as trying to boot the computer normally.

Any advice would be super helpful. Thank you so much.

Hardware for anyone wondering:
FX-6300
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Gigabyte GTX 970
1 Dimm Patriot Viper 8GB 1600mhz
Samsung 830 ssd
750w Antec PSU

Solution
I did have a Win 10 installer flash drive, however I didn't think about that beforehand.
I was using an HDMI cable and nothing changed regardless which port I used on my monitor or GPU. Because my CPU is an FX chip, using integrated graphics is not an option.

So in the end, I just had to wipe everything and reinstall windows, thankfully I didnt have anything too important on my hard drive. But now everything is working just fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have a win 10 installer? Its a really handy boot drive and beats restarting PC 3 times to get into winre (blue menus) - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

what connection are you connecting monitor to GPU? There is a display port bug that will create a black screen error at boot
Does motherboard have onboard graphics connections? IN other words, can you run off CPU rather than GPU? Just to see if its the GPU that is cause.

Anything on PC you cannot afford to lose?
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, click File>open
in file explorer, use it to copy any files you need to save to somewhere safe.

You lucky to have access to safe mode option, if you boot off USB it won't often be a choice. Strange it doesn't load

Michael332

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
I did have a Win 10 installer flash drive, however I didn't think about that beforehand.
I was using an HDMI cable and nothing changed regardless which port I used on my monitor or GPU. Because my CPU is an FX chip, using integrated graphics is not an option.

So in the end, I just had to wipe everything and reinstall windows, thankfully I didnt have anything too important on my hard drive. But now everything is working just fine.

Solution