Critical Structure Corruption

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
So I've just come across a BSOD that I was never expecting to get. Happened kind of out of nowhere.

Critical Structure Corruption

Supposedly caused by win32kbase.sys

I've ran sfc /scannow and the various DISM commands, they all come up saying everything is just fine.

I've looked at the minidump with BlueScreenView but I personally can't get much more out of it than this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnw3gh8g22x7tuo/CSC%20BSOD%20minidump.dmp?dl=0

Colif

Win 11 Master
I normally don't expect to get any BSOD...

win32kbase is one of those files I can't find meaning of, google is not any help either. I like to know what the names mean as most win 10 file names mean something. is it an acronym? Its is part of the Windows kernel, I know that much.

anyway, I will get someone to convert it into file I can read, you know the drill :)

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Thanks for trying

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file(s) through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/HNrU.html

File: CSC BSOD minidump.dmp (Nov 7 2018 - 19:45:12)
BugCheck: [CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION (109)]
Probably caused by: win32kbase.sys (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 27 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

BIOS info was included in the dump, this can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS.

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

If it is an outdated BIOS then that's a problem because this (new) motherboard only has a single BIOS version available and it's from last year.

power off your machine, power it back on then boot your system into bios and check to see if the date and time is correct.
if the motherboard battery backup failed then the bios will revert to defaults.
I mention this because your sata controller seems to be in IDE mode rather than in AHCI mode. This often indicated a very old machine or newer machine that the battery has failed.

the bugcheck indicated that the corruption it found was
e : Modification of a session import table

(could be a old program making a change that is no longer allowed or malware trying to force the system to load some code)

you will want to start cmd.exe or powershell as an admin and run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then download and run a Malwarebytes scan (free version) to check for adware or malware trying to infect your system.

the debugger could not read the bios interface, it could indicate a old bios version.
(not clear, I am seeing bugchecks that have bios versions that are too new and it is the debugger that has not been updated that is the problem)

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

BIOS date and time were all fine.

Switched from IDE to AHCI.

Ran the dism command multiple times before this and once after, no indication that anything was fixed.

Scanned with MBAM multiple times, yesterday and today, 0 threats.

well, changing the sata mode to ahci might help. At least the sata data will not be going thru the old 2012 ide driver you had installed. (it would have to assume it was a random change in the file as it was loaded into memory, I hate to assume that for files that are clear targets of malware attacks)

if it was a random problem, you would want to run memtest86 to test your memory timings and download crystaldiskinfo.exe or some other hard drive tool to read your drives smart error reporting data.

(random error would come from, drive, the sata controller driver, or from the memory the data is stored in)

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

I did run Seatools earlier for all their tests and they all passed. Memory is fine as per previous tests.