MB: Gigabyte H67
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

Thought about buying:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
MB: A320
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz
and to sell the GPU.

I will be happy to hear your opinions. Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about cpu ram smooth video
  1. PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nGcMmq
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nGcMmq/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($157.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($91.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $311.76
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-09 02:38 EST-0500

More than enough, but make sure you buy 2 sticks of memory, otherwise you don't get the performance of dual channel.
  2. This one can not play 4k smoothly?
    CPU: i5-3470
    GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

I am still running E3-1231V3 (I7 4770). My processor should be only max 5% faster than yours, if you remove the HT. I was on GTX970 (before went to 1080). 970 and 1060 3GB should be quite near.
    I was able to run any 4k videos without issues using E3-1231V3+GTX970.
    I think your current PC can still do that too.
  3. Hey,
    First of all, you can already play 4K without issue.

Secondly, that Ryzen system isn't much of an upgrade IMO. Is 4K video your only goal? If so it's a big waste.

Also, the VIDEO CARD is the most important part as it has video DECODE capabilities so it can minimize the CPU involvement which would normally be the only potential playback issue.

The AMD APU can also do that but then you're basically just trading your graphics card for a newer system to do... what differently?

All you need currently to play back 4K video is:
    1) source (Netflix or BluRay player)
    2) video player software (if BluRay)

I can play 4K video in files using a free program like K-Lite. I play all video with that except for BluRay which forced me to pay for a BluRay software player.

Alternatively some people buy inexpensive standalone (for HDTV) BluRay machines and connect to their monitors via HDMI and just toggle between the PC and BluRay player on the monitor.

*If you have more SPECIFIC NEEDS like gaming (which doesn't seem to be the case if selling graphics card) or whatever tell us.

The only real upgrade I can otherwise think of without having more info is to add another 4GB of DDR3 memory if doing a lot of web browsing with lots of tabs open.

I've used a system SIMILAR to yours with an i7-870, 4GB DDR3, 120GB SSD and it does all the basics including web browsing without too many tabs open basically the same as my high-end gaming machine.
  4. I agree with that three-eyed alien above.

I think, OP biggest problem is that he/she has only 4GB RAM and perhaps also no SSD, despite that these should not directly influence 4k playback.
  5. guanyu210379 said:
    I agree with that three-eyed alien above.

I think, OP biggest problem is that he/she has only 4GB RAM and perhaps also no SSD, despite that these should not directly influence 4k playback.

Thanks... that's from the movie "Evolution" and I thought it looked cool.

Anyway, again what the OP needs to do is be very, very specific about their needs.
    1) basic word processing, light web browsing? Fine already.
    2) Gaming? Keep system and add 4GB of DDR3.
    3) possibly move the Windows partition to C-drive if opening programs and bootup is annoyingly slow

And when I say be "specific" is that 4K Youtube, 4K downloaded video, 4K Netflix, or 4K Bluray discs?

Also, I'm confused on 4K Netflix requirements because they keep changing what is needed. At one point you needed Windows 10, an 8th gen Intel CPU and an NVidia GTX1000 (i.e. GTX1060) card.

And 4K Netflix is similar quality to 1080p on BluRay whereas 4K BluRay is higher quality than those.
  6. You can play 4K video, try MPC-HC for playback.

Netflix only allows 4K playback on Windows 10 Edge with 7th Gen or newer Intel Chip. That is entirely do to DRM enforced by Netflix.
  7. In the beginning I thought to upgrade in order to play 4k games - but then people told me that I need at least 2x GTX 1080 so I decided to buy Xbox One X for 4k games and to upgrade the current in order to play 4k downloaded videos and for web browsing.
    I have Samsung 840 EVO SSD in the current system.
  8. 4k gaming and 4k video playback are 2 completely different things.

For 4k gaming, GTX1080ti is my minimum. You should get RTX2080ti or 2x GTX1080tis, if you intend to play on native 4k resolution.
    You can also simply get an upscaling a.k.a. e.g. run the game @1080p and let the monitor or TV do the upscaling. By doing this, you do not need that much GPU performance, usually with the cost of input lag due to those extra image processing.

Playing 4k videos are nowadays standards. No need for super powerful GPU to do that. Even smartphones can do that.
  9. guanyu210379 said:
    4k gaming and 4k video playback are 2 completely different things.

For 4k gaming, GTX1080ti is my minimum. You should get RTX2080ti or 2x GTX1080tis, if you intend to play on native 4k resolution.
    You can also simply get an upscaling a.k.a. e.g. run the game @1080p and let the monitor or TV do the upscaling. By doing this, you do not need that much GPU performance, usually with the cost of input lag due to those extra image processing.

Playing 4k videos are nowadays standards. No need for super powerful GPU to do that. Even smartphones can do that.

Great idea! now what do I need to upgrade to play 1080p on Max. settings?
  10. For 1080p gaming, if you really want to max everything, you need at least 1060 6GB.
    If you are jumping from 1060 3GB, go directly to 1070 or higher.

Note: The iGPU in 2400G is weaker than your current 1060 3GB. Drop this plan.
  11. Ok and what about the current build? would it be enough?

CPU: i5-3470
  12. 3470 can still most of the gaming job done quite well.
    4GB RAM is not good, you need 8GB as the very minimum, 16GB is the more recommended.

However,
    3470 is a problem on some new games e.g. BF1.
    You might need to consider, if going to the newer platform is perhaps more interesting for you.
    If you wanna move to the newer platform, you need a new RAM and mobo too.
    Note: upgrading cost of your RAM from 4GB to the recommended 16GB on your current platform is also almost like getting a complete new RAM kit for the new platform.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Video CPUs Intel i5