Adata XPG Spectrix D41 Review: RGB Value At DDR4-3600

Tanyac

Reputable
Why are all these DRAM companies pumping out flashy new models (and RGB does absolutely ZERO to enhance performance), that they (a) can't supply and (b). People cannot afford now and (c). Will not be able to afford when tariffs bump up costs even more.

Wouldn't it make more sense to create affordable performance focused DRAM - without the added cost burden of flashy colors?

I purchased a 32GB DDR4-3200 kit in 09/2016 that cost me $249 AUD. That same kit is now $599 - $899 depending which retailer you buy from.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I think with the popularity of Ryzen and the RAM compatibility issues it would have been worth at least touching on whether this RAM worked well with Ryzen. I bought Gskill SniperX 3200 RAM for my 2700X and discovered I had to back it off to 2933 to get system stability so now when I look at RAM reviews that's the thing I'm looking for.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was hoping to pick up on that but I've only reviewed a few boards, and the best one for most of my RAM wouldn't work right with other RAM. See the "How We Test" notes here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-x470-taichi-ultimate-am4-atx-motherboard,5811-3.html
And so the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi is out as the default test board due to configuration problems WITH THE BOARD, not Ryzen. So without further adieu, here's the four boards I've tested that could be used:
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9ZL0MvODAwODY4L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDIyLnBuZw==

Notice the top two only have two DIMM slots, the last one is the one that wouldn't work with some of my memory, and the third one can't overclock DRAM.
So with the problems being primarily limited to the board and not the Ryzen CPU, tell me...which board would you have me use to test DRAM compatibility with Ryzen?

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I see the problem, and given that my board is a Gigabyte Aorus ultra gaming X470 you have me wondering if it's my board that caused my issues as well.
My SniperX RAM does work at XMP settings, but the PC was prone to an occasional crash particularly in far cry 5 until I set the RAM to 2933. A couple of BIOS updates helped as well and it's been stable for 2 months now.

Still if testing with Ryzen does become an option I would appreciate and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. One of the more daunting aspects in going for Ryzen is knowing what RAM you can use. Even if all that's said is it works at default and XMP settings on board X.

For me personally of course I'd have loved the gigabyte board to have been used because it's the closest to mine, and the world exists for my benefit right? :p

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This has weighed heavily on my mind: Should I use a board that best represents "boards that don't have the problem I experienced with my own G.Skill memory", or should I use the board that does? Perhaps I should test every module kit from the past eight years on every board I test. Of course that would be impossible, given the amount of time it would take, and with that information only present in the motherboard reviews I'd still have guys saying "Why not AMD" in the DRAM reviews :D

Now, that Gigabyte board did some awesome things with the HX429C15PB3AK4/32, but that's not even Samsung B-Die, it's Hynix:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/kingston-hyperx-predator-rgb-ddr4-2933-4x8gb-32gb-kit,5646.html
And if I use that board, will I have guys coming after me for promoting Hynix over Samsung B-Die? After all, B-Die is supposed to be king on Ryzen...