Windows 10 updates made laptop useless

tfrost2002

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Win 10 updates froze at 98% for hours and now will not load the os. I have (on any number of help boards) read for hours of similar problems and suggestions to solve the problem none have worked. I contacted Acer who provided the os as firm ware on the loptop. Acer was no help. I have been trying to learn about a bios option to use UEFI to load setup defaults but I cannot find out what those are and am not sure if I should proceed and what will happen if I do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

tfrost2002

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

tfrost2002

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

In order to use the windows creation tool a license is needed. The firmware on the Acer laptop is inaccessible I believe or at least from what I know. I don't even know if that information is provided.

Thank you for your help and consideration

tfrost2002

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

From the Microsoft download page,

"To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool.To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. "

I do not have an installation disk Windows was already installed on the laptop.

That is a poorly written instruction. Mr Martin is correct. The statement means the user should have a license for when it is needed, which you will not, for your purposes, since the repair option occurs simultaneously with an install option. No licence is required to use the install files to repair the OS.

And you would not need the licence to install either, as the installation allows the user to log the key sequence after an install.

And if your OS is presently authorized that will apply as well to the re installed OS.

So you may leave aside the licensing issue. The advice is use the repair function or a reinstall to try to fix the problem

tfrost2002

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

Well, I did download the tool and followed the instructions for creating a disk for another pc.
Create installation media ... for another pc.
A box was checked to "use the recommended options for this pc" since I don't want to install on the pc I am using to make the media I unchecked the box.

This message appears "8GB of free disk space is needed on (C:)
Remove files you no longer need or use Disk Cleanup to free up space and then try again."

I have tried several times. I have read the instructions on how to use the tool but do not see a solution. I am so sick of Microsoft.

Any ideas or thoughts on how to proceed from here. What about the UEFI option to setup defaults? I don't know exactly what that means or what the setup defaults are although I have searched and found no information on this.
Hours and hours of my life wasted thanks to Microsoft and Acer.

Thank you for your help and consideration/

Ok. Well if you unselect the recommended configuration you still must select a choice for each item. This install file will do for a reinstall on this computer as well so accept the recommended choices.Start the process with the USB.

You will get to the windows set up screen where you select the time , currency and language for the computer . When you click Next you will see the Install Now screen and, at the bottom, "Repair the computer". That's where you start the "Windows Recovery Environment".

In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

Tap or click, advanced options, and then select Startup repair.

UEFI is a bios mechanism. The bios may already be UEFI or have a Use UEFI option. Operating in this mode is good but it may already be selected for that machine. What are the details of the computer , make, model, etc.? I'd look around the bios for such an option but the repair effort can go ahead anyway. Leave UEFI for now.

tfrost2002

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I am sorry but the next screen is the one I provided before it does go on to the choices you have stated. I only get the screen mentioned before about needing 8 GB of space. My only choice at that point is to close.

Ouch !

You need another boot drive on that computer or to install the problem drive in another machine as a storage drive. The goal is to access that problem disk and delete files so a repair may begin. I notice you are using a machine to communicate here. What are the computers you have, specs re drives ? If you are not familiar with moving drives around a solution is to take the problem machine to a tech stop with a simple direction . Ask that they access the problem drive , delete some stuff and make space available.

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018
The problem may simply be that the OP is using a flash drive which is too small.

Two questions.
Is the drive with <8GB a USB flash drive or a drive in the computer the OP is using?
If it is a drive in the computer he is using, is he saving the downloaded file (OK) or is he trying to use the media creation tool to make it a bootable installation drive (not a good idea)?

tfrost2002

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Here is the solution to my problem.

Press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds till the machine completely shuts off. Then turn it back on again and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear as in the video below. You can reset the machine to a factory fresh Win10 state or refresh Win10 while trying to save your personal files. Do NOT try to use the Microsoft tool at this point.

Thank you for your help.

This is finished.