i7 4790k or ryzen 2700x

Aug 20, 2018
Hi. im currently using i5 4670k and 1080ti atm. im thinking upgrade my cpu recently. do you think get a cheap i7 4790k is better or get a 2700x on black friday is better? wit 4790k i dont hv to buy other stuffs but wit 2700x i hv to buy mother board and shit. im using it for gaming mostly thx.
P.S my monitor is 1080p 144hz

Dugimodo

Distinguished
For straight up gaming the 2600X seems to perform slightly better than the 2700X a lot of the time and is probably worth considering with the price difference. If you can get a good deal on the 4790K it's worth considering also though, it's slower but not by all that much.

Personally I'd be considering selling the old MB/CPU/RAM and buying new, the old parts are more appealing to buyers as a set and you get new hardware.
It might not work out that much more expensive if you can get a good price for your old hardware either.

I don't think either option is a bad one, but I'm guessing you are looking for 144 fps to match your monitor refresh rate in which case you might wan't to consider saving up for an i5 8600K/9600K or better. I went ryzen myself but there's no denying intel still hold the fps crown.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I agree the 2600 is a better deal if you want to buy an aftermarket cooler and overclock anyway, but out of the box with a stock cooler the 2600X is pretty good and cheaper than a 2600 + decent aftermarket cooler. Depends on the situation.

Aug 20, 2018
will OCed 2600 been equal to OCed 2600x? do they have the same potential? I heard nvidia has too different chip for higher priced GPUs.

At 1080p if you want to crank out high fps for your 144hz monitor then you need a new CPU. And yes that means new motherboard and DDR4 system ram. I'd go with the 2600 or 2600x, whichever you can afford. Get a B450 not a B350. I'd give up the 2600x if it means being able to get the newer generation motherboard. For example, if I was buying it'd be at Newegg and right now the 2600x is $60 more than the 2600. I'd rather put that $60 in a better motherboard and ram. Depending on where you buy this may or may not be the situation.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
X470 tends to be better for extreme overclocking and might have a few extra connection options, but for the most par tit's not too big of a deal. I went with a Gigabyte X470 board because it was fairly cheap here in NZ and have no complaints. I also went with a 2700X and have yet to see it exceed about 30-35% usage while gaming because the games I'm currently playing just don't use that many threads.

Will it be more future proof? maybe, it's honestly not easy to know. When quad cores first appeared and started to be used in gaming rigs many people carried on with dual core CPUs for many years without issue and enjoyed all the same games for less money. By the time quad core really started to be needed those first gen quad cores were out of date. The same could happen with 6 and 8 cores, they may end up being outdated by the time a decent numbe rof games actually need that many threads.

For right now 6 core CPUS game just as well as 8 core ones and even 4 core CPUs often keep up. Having spare cores lets you multi task while gaming a bit more but may not benefit you at all in gaming for the life of a new PC, who knows.

Any desktop i5, i7, Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7 will game very well and should do so for several years. None of them will be the bottleneck with a GTX 1060 based system.

I do love 8 cores though, I just converted an album to MP3 from FLAC for my phone and saw DBpoweramp to all 12 tracks at once, 1 thread each with 4 left over :), took about 10 seconds.