Drives for editing 4K video? have 2 x M.2... but which HDDs for media storage?

mschubb

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Have fast new rig with i7-8700K, 32gb w/ two Evo M.2 SSDs. Using Adobe Creative Suite. Am looking to replace two older 2TB HDDs (from previous build) with something a bit larger and would appreciate any advice. Couple of things:

• > Been told to avoid NAS drives for desktop use -- but does that advice only apply to using them as boot/app drives? Would NAS drives be a good choice for storing big media files?

> Have always bought 7200rpm drives, but with OS, programs, page and project files, etc now on the M.2 drives, do I still need 7200 drives for media storage[? (would love to buy quieter drives)

> And finally... any recommendations about brand/model reliability? Been happy w/ HGST, but they seem to be disappearing into WD.)
Thanks in advance for any help!

For just storage you don't need 7200rpm drives, but really they should not be that loud, your fans would be louder than the drives under normal use.

The issue with reliable drives is that things vary by drive model so it's a bit hard to say "get this model it's reliable". I like WD black, but have also used a few Hitachi SpinPoint drives that have not gone bad on me yet. The HGST drives you like have been horrible in my experience but in laptops. 80% of failed laptop drives I dealt with have been HGST, but those were from a 2-3 year span several years ago and laptop drives. So as you see there, drive brands are not the only thing to go by.