Will Windows 10 OEM work if I change some parts of my PC?

geekgamer5902

Prominent
Nov 12, 2018
I read somewhere that OEMs only work on the specific set of components they were installed on. Will it still work if I changed my CPU/GPU/Motherboard or RAM and stuff?
And what about if I change my keyboard mouse and other peripherals?
(don't judge me pls I'm a noob)

Solution
In versions of Windows previous to Windows 10, OEM licenses were tied to the first motherboard they were installed on and could not be moved to another system. Any upgrades other than the motherboard could be made without having to re-activate Windows.

With Windows 10, Microsoft has changed the license agreement. The OEM license can now be assigned to a Microsoft Account instead of the motherboard. Once assigned to the MS account, it can be transferred to a new computer build and reactivated without issue. Of course, you can still only use one license on one computer at any given time.

-Wolf sends

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
IDK the specifics of windows 10, in previous versions the system would allow three hardware changes in a set time (say 90 days) more hardware changes than that and you will need to reactivate the key. the hardware limits is the main reason OEM software is cheaper, the other is microsoft will send any support calls to the purchaser of the OEM license- Dell, HP, or other. tech support and limited hardware are the traits of OEM software
the motherboard is several devices so that cannot be changed without triggering re-activation - unless new part is identical.

Wolfshadw

Titan
In versions of Windows previous to Windows 10, OEM licenses were tied to the first motherboard they were installed on and could not be moved to another system. Any upgrades other than the motherboard could be made without having to re-activate Windows.

With Windows 10, Microsoft has changed the license agreement. The OEM license can now be assigned to a Microsoft Account instead of the motherboard. Once assigned to the MS account, it can be transferred to a new computer build and reactivated without issue. Of course, you can still only use one license on one computer at any given time.

-Wolf sends

Solution

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
What the OP is referring to is that the OEM version does not execute SetupComplete.cmd when sysprep is installed and its set to enter the " out of box experience".

now you know why an oem key is $5 and a pro key is $30. Because of some script file somewhere.

You got to love/hate it. I do, to the point of running Ubuntu Linux instead of Microsoft Windows on my computers.

USAFRet

Titan

Where did this Windows 10 come from, specifically?
That determines reuse.

USAFRet

Titan

Win 10 licensing is significantly different than earlier versions.

TRENDING THREADS