How so my i3-2120 is performing so well?

Smart4

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Over the years my i3-2120 has performed consistently great on benchmarks. To put it in comparison with other 2120, on Userbenchmark I get a 98% percentile. On Geeckbench 4 multicore, scores 6000 points (average 5290), so higher than an i3-3250 . On CPU-Z singlecore: 286, when average is 203, multi: 800 when average is 678.

I know that some people may be running this benchmarks with lots of background processes, but I don’t do anything special, sometimes I don’t even disable the antivirus, I tested it with my regular PC, Windows 10 has been installed for +2 years so I have several installed services running. Ram is working at 1333mhz CL8. CPU speed is 3292Mhz and Bus 99.76Mhz. Core VID is 1.216V – 1.241V (0.97V when 1596Mhz) which I’m not sure if it’s an accurate reading or normal, but looks high. But anyways the performance has been the same with different motherboards.

So my question is, is it normal to get those results, is +95% of people doing shitty benchmarks? Because don’t understand how a CPU that does not have a turbo or anything, it’s just a 3,3Ghz stock CPU, consistently gets a +15% aprox.
In other words, it is possible that there is a difference of performance between CPUs (same model) running the same and constant MHz? And if, what’s the technical explanation.

Smart4

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

I think you do not understand what I’m saying.
Obviously, this old & low end i3 does not have a great performance either by 2012 standards or today’s standards, but that’s nonsense, since it's obvious.

What I'm saying is it's performing great compared to the average of other i3-2120, according to this sites, and I'm just asking why is that, it's just that the average user does bad benchmarks or could there be a difference between stock i3s. (I think the answer is the first one.)
Plus you got 98% percentile with OC 4.6Mhz!
I do at least 96% with a stock i3, no OC (again compared with others 2120).
And there are a few people that probably do BCLK OC for non-k CPU i3, how I’m getting 96% with a stock i3?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at some of CPU-Z's other results, they look a little fishy. For example, a C2D E8400, an FX 8370, and an i3-3220 all have higher single core scores than a i7-4790. What? Really makes me question the reliability of those results.

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/1

Also, maybe it's possible there have been little changes in the things like Windows, or even the benchmark itself, over time that could improve the score? If that were the case, then most results for an i3-2120 would have benchmarked a long time ago, so a modern result might be noticeably better. That's just a guess as to a possible explanation, I really don't know.

Some people leave junk running in the background when they do those tests, so that will their results to the low end of the spectrum.

With not much stuff running, I can't see any reason why the CPU WOULD score lower than others like it.

Smart4

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

That sounds right, it has logic.

alsmith

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
What are you wasting time for with this nonsense? Does it do what you want from it?
Answer yes means go play your games, you're wasting game time.

However the very fact that you check AND seek reassurance from others that it is good enough kind of hints at something else.