Windows update corrupted OS and Partition

Redneckgirl

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I need to start by saying that I am not as good at this as I should be, so be patient.
A few years ago my daughter and I got identical HP Splits. About 6 months ago Windows 10 did an update and her computer went to a blue screen.
I would love to recover from backup but it was all corrupted.
Error code 0xc0000001
I press f1 for Recovery Environment
HP says please wait for about a minute. Then goes to the keyboard layout.
Choose an option...
Continue Exit and continue to (its blank)
use a device ie. usb, recovery dvd (I don't have anything unless I can use my computer to fix hers.)
Troubleshoot reset your pc or see advanced options ( I do this one)
I select system restore
Next screen choose a target operating system. one option available is an empty square.
same thing for system image ect...
so can I copy my computer on to hers via flash drive? do I need to get a hammer???
Thanks, Ginger

Redneckgirl

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

USAFRet

Titan

No, you can't just copy it via a flash drive.
Doesn't work like that.

As these systems are "identical", possibly you can use your machine to create whatever Factory Recovery thing exists.
This will require a USB dive of whatever size HP dictates.

Look in the user manual for how to invoke this.

Then, in the broken system, you boot from the USB ytou created and follow the instructions.

However, have you considered the drive may be faulty, or some other part of the system.

Redneckgirl

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I don't know what to do in C prompt but when I pull up the directory there is still a lot there. I don't know what it means but I know everything is not gone. I pray its not a problem with the drive....this is already bad enough. I will try the factory recovery. Thank you and you are right..... Why don't I have it backed up somewhere else?

USAFRet

Titan

Wait...the Factory Recovery will wipe out the entire drive, and return it back to as it came from the store.

Redneckgirl

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I don't know what else to do because her computer is not backed up. Having it returned to factory would be better than this brick that has been setting here for 6 months.
Can you point me in a better direction?

USAFRet

Titan

This depends.
1. Is there anything critical data on that system you really need to retrieve?
2. How easy is it to remove the actual drive?

A lot of systems like that, the drive is a real pain to get out.

If you can't remove it or if there is nothing on it you really need...then Factory Reset would be the key.

Redneckgirl

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I am working on a factory reset either cross your fingers or say a prayer whichever you wouldn't mind doing for me. I will let you know. Thank you

if you need her data make a windows 10 usb stick. boot from the stick go into dos mode on the stick and then you should be able to see her uses folder and any of her other folder. you should be able to move them to a usb stick. if not reboot and let windows installer back up her old windows and make a new copy. then move her files and then run system restore.