New PC won't load Windows after all Windows Updates installed

djroy03

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
Bought the wife a new all-in-one PC (her choice) this weekend and I took about 6 hours installing all the Windows Updates, which included the "Feature Update for Windows 10 version 1803". The PC had been working fine for the past day, but this morning I notice a blue screen and I think it said "Windows failed to restart properly" or something along those lines.

I tried the automatic repair feature, but told me it couldn't repair my PC. So, I can't get into Windows and the repairs won't work. Do I try the "reset PC" option, or do I need to reinstall windows using a bootable USB? Will this void any type of warranty as I just bought it? Or do I return it and a get a new one?

I'm not sure where to start.

Dell - 23.8" Touch-Screen All-In-One - AMD A9-Series - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive

Model:I3475-A845BLK-PUS

Thank you,

Daniel

Your best bet is to reset Windows.
Even though that PC was new in the box, it was released more than 2 years ago and half of them have an issue with the PSU. Unless Dell haven't fixed the PSU issues, it usually dies withing 3 years.

djroy03

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015

Thanks. If I reset it, should I then install all the Windows Updates? And are you saying this PC might be dead in 3 years no matter what I do?

Reset it and see if the process goes thru smoothly.
Don't install any programs, specially antivirus, until the Windows updates are done.
Not all of them die. If yours have the external power adapter (brick) then it can be replaced easily.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Feature Update for Windows 10 version 1803 is a new version of windows 10 - every 6 months it is updated with new features for free.

A reset will basically mean you have to install all the updates again. But only the ones on top of 1803 since you got it already. So about 5 total..

A reset won't effect warranty. neither would a clean install.

If you have a bootable USB it might be a better choice than resat, but that depends on version of Win 10 on USB. You can make a new one using this - download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

djroy03

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015

Thanks all. I'll give it a whirl and post the results.

djroy03

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
Using the bootable USB, do I choose Upgrade or Custom option? And if I use Custom, it asks me to select partition. Options:

Drive 0 Partition 1:ESP
Drive 0 Partition 2
Drive 0 Partition 3: OS
Drive 0 Partition 4: WINRETOOLS
Drive 0 Partition 5: Image
Drive 0 Partition 6: DELLSUPPORT

Thank you,

Daniel

djroy03

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
I have now reinstalled Windows and the system keeps restarting itself every 5 minutes. In the Event Viewer it shows Kernel-Power Event ID 41.

You should delete partitions 1, 2 & 3 then install on the unallocated space.

You could delete partitions 1-6 but you won't be able to return the system to factory default.
By deleting them all you will regain more space on your drive

Too many issues and time spent on a brand new computer.
Lets hope that issue is related to the Windows OS....otherwise I would return it.

djroy03

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015

I agree. I'm so bummed. I'm planning on returning it. I tried..

Colif

Win 11 Master
i doubt you could do a factory restore once you actually installed windows 10 again, it wouldn't know the partitions were there so it would be same result as if you had deleted all partitions.

Yes, return it and ask for a replacement since its only new.

djroy03

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
UPDATE - Returned this PC to the store and got a new one. It again took me about 5 hours to do all the Windows Updates but I can already tell a difference with the one. Fingers crossed but it seems we're in the clear. Thanks all.

Great. I would have done the same.
I think that unit may have been faulty from the start, so return it was a smart move.
Enjoy your new system..